Spring Project #1: 14.5" Zaskar LE - FINISHED!

Re: Spring Project #1: 14.5" Zaskar LE

On my Kona I ended up using a variable speed electric drill and bench mounted polisher,3 different grades of buffing wax.
Ran over the frame forks etc twice with the first 2 waxes and 3 hits on the last final polishing one.
Wore a set of ear cans and a filter mask as the shit that comes of the buff wheel can bung u up in no time.
Panel wipe good for cleaning the surface of any greasy fingerprints n dirt before doing ur decals.

Re:

Good call on the panel wipes.
I too have done a couple of passes with each of 3 grades of compound. To remove polishing goo as I have been working I have just been using blue roll and whatever was to hand, usually wd40 which worked really well.
I'm just about ready for the final buff now. Trouble is it's been so long since I started the compound has gone hard and doesn't seem to be picking up very well. Since I'm not after perfection I can live with this but it's rather annoying.

Stuff I have is 3 different grades of solid wax and as u run it through the buff head the friction sticks it to the mophead.
It’s time consuming but great seeing the results uve achieved

Re:

Sounds like the same sort of polishing kit.

I do like a nicely polished...... frame, it just looks so 90s.

Couple of domestic catastrophies have distracted me from this but it's still there at the top of my bike list. I WILL get this done!

It's a nice day, my boss thinks I'm at the dentist...
Mmmmmm, polished and ready for decals

Attachments

• DSC_0916.jpg
    DSC_0916.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 418
Re:

That feels better now,

stickers on and a quick wax to protect the finish and we're ready to get building.

Decals mostly from Gil but his set didn't include the 6061 for the seat tube or the triple triangle ones for the top tube, so filled in the gaps with an ebay set.

Attachments

• DSC_0919 (1).jpg
    DSC_0919 (1).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC_0920 (1).jpg
    DSC_0920 (1).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC_0921 (1).jpg
    DSC_0921 (1).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC_0922.jpg
    DSC_0922.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC_0923.jpg
    DSC_0923.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 404
Re:

The moment of relief when you finally find the box of bits you put 'somewhere safe'

The panic when the canti bosses are not there in the box.

The distress when you have several spare sets but realise none of them are the correct thread.

The cup of tea to try to calm down, while quickly searching the forum classifieds, ebay etc for the part, knowing that as soon as you buy one, if one can be found, the original will be found hiding in plain sight.

And finally, the joyful swearing when you find the bloody things there in the box after all.

In other words, getting ready to build now.

Chainset and mechs need a clean so it's out with the degreaser and toothbrush one evening.

I'm going with the blue rigid forks for starters so I will give them a bit of a clean and polish too before fitting.

Re:

I can't say GTs are my faveroute bike but there is something very right with a polished zaskar especially in the smaller sizes. Might be a bit cliched but I do like these with black rims, components and skin walls.

Nice work on the frame and decal application.

Back