The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

legrandefromage":2jiysidc said:
At least mine was real

<goes off in a huff, orange with red trim>

Ha Ha that ones very clever as well.

Oh go on then to bring it back into the factual but nicely tenuous, I repaired the drummer from Syd Arthur's music centre a little while ago, they're a local band and did an instore in my friends record shop when they released the last LP and he volunteered me to look at it, dry bearing in the turntable, took all of about 10 seconds to diagnose and not much longer to sort.

My friend has a few people from the arts as customers so thus far I've repaired turntables from 2 people in different bands, a society photographer and the guy who used to manage the Clash

Oh and for really tenuous a very early idler drive Micro Seiki I had a few years ago supposedly used to belong to one of the members of the Who but I don't know which one, it came from one of their roadies and he picked it up when it was lying about and was going to be chucked out. He thought someone picked it up in Japan in the early 70's but was more than a bit hazy on it original ownership.

legrandefromage":ylsioymr said:
Do you want a Dolby with that?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco[/youtube]

Slightly off topic, but I was trying to remember that very sketch and who did it the other day after witnessing something very similar in a bike shop - are bike shops the new hi-fi shops? *

* possibly 10 years behind here, and I don't go in hi-fi shops anymore.

Well road cycling is supposedly the current midlife crisis fad so it's quite possible

Basically any hobby where middle aged (mostly) men can be persuaded to part with large sums of money for beautifully made but utterly pointless widgets and pedanglebangle springs falls into that category

Just picked up a Rotel RA-980BX at the 2nd hand store for about 17 quid. Top of the line integrated amp BITD.

Quiet afternoon fault finding reveals the main amp is working fine, but the pre-amp stage had a blown 18v zener
diode providing the reference voltage for the lower power -18v rail. Replacement diodes and new smoothing caps
costing peanuts on the way. Can't wait to fire it up proper with a decent source and speakers.

I'm impressed with the mechanical build quality; built like a tank and some choice components.

Woz":iwcrpq55 said:
Just picked up a Rotel RA-980BX at the 2nd hand store for about 17 quid. Top of the line integrated amp BITD.

Quiet afternoon fault finding reveals the main amp is working fine, but the pre-amp stage had a blown 18v zener
diode providing the reference voltage for the lower power -18v rail. Replacement diodes and new smoothing caps
costing peanuts on the way. Can't wait to fire it up proper with a decent source and speakers.

I'm impressed with the mechanical build quality; built like a tank and some choice components.
Nice amp, I've always liked Rotel products generally, they made some much more competent kit than some of their more shouty competition.

I had a big Rotel AV amp a while back, I'm not a fan of AV amps as a rule but it was surprisingly good. It's HDMI switching was a bit hit and miss though which was a known fault I understand, I sold it on and got a very good price for it and then tried to replace it, I tried several from the likes of Denon and Onkyo and they just sounded flat in comparison and really couldn't drive my front speakers yet on paper should have coped easily, I ended up with a Yamaha that was a fair bit further up the food chain than the original Rotel before I got close to how that Rotel sounded.

Do you know what caused the zener to go? leaky caps?

Anyway nice find for that money.

Back