What is it with dogs

It's the owners. 100% of the time.

A well exercised, mentally stimulated and well trained dog will not chase. Remove one of these factors and you have a dog that can't control itself/be controlled. The only proviso I'd add is that if you're rapidly approaching a family, or come between a dog and it's family, you may get a protective reaction. The dog should be under control, but I've seen a few (not many) cyclists approach families in a way that could certainly be seen as threatening.

I find it interesting that here in the new forest, the only time you'll have a problem with a dog* is when you come across one that is either always on lead, or clearly doesn't get the level of daily stimulation it needs.

*except puppys. And why wouldn't you stop for a puppy anyways?

My_Teenage_Self":32luku7i said:
It's the owners. 100% of the time.

A well exercised, mentally stimulated and well trained dog will not chase. Remove one of these factors and you have a dog that can't control itself/be controlled. The only proviso I'd add is that if you're rapidly approaching a family, or come between a dog and it's family, you may get a protective reaction. The dog should be under control, but I've seen a few (not many) cyclists approach families in a way that could certainly be seen as threatening.

I find it interesting that here in the new forest, the only time you'll have a problem with a dog* is when you come across one that is either always on lead, or clearly doesn't get the level of daily stimulation it needs.

You run them over? Do you drown kittens too?

Puppies. It follows on like a conversation. You know, the thing you’d have if you knew anybody real. :p

Okay, thanks for the insult. Conversationally, your 'joke' still doesn't make sense.

And for derailing the thread;

0/10

Re:

My_Teenage_Self":v4w2y4jl said:
Because they're not cats! :evil:

Although, cats usually have the good sense not to get in the way (unlike dogs).

Subject: What is it with dogs

My_Teenage_Self":1ndye58b said:
Okay, thanks for the insult. Conversationally, your 'joke' still doesn't make sense.

And for derailing the thread;

0/10
Nearly changed it to we’d and we. All in jest. Wondered if you’d take it in the spirit it was meant. Apologies.

As you were everybody.

Re:

My nut job of a collie/husky pretty much likes chasing anything!, we rehomed him and even after a massive amount of training, etc he still has terrible 'on lead' aggression towards other dogs, his recall off lead is still a work in progress, but if i venture deep into the New Forest away from other walkers / bikes / horse riders, he is pretty good......until he spots some deer in the distance and then thats him gone for best part of an hour!! :facepalm:

If im in areas that are frequented by other people / bikes / riders then he is always on lead to avoid any....um..."incidents" :shock:

Re:

I would disagree. We have four dogs. All similar upbringing since we’ve had them. One is wired differently. Just like some children. First up. First to react. Hyper vigilant. But wonderfully demonstrative and loving of his pack.

Back