1992 Orange Clockwork project. First Clockwork - options!

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've now got several Orange projects. Most are 19" Prestige or P7 which are probably too small for me really being 6ft2 still a few are getting built too.

This 21" came up for sale so I grabbed it, the bigger sizes probably don't look as cool but the extra headtube and leg room will be handy. It's a 1992/1 which is what i was after too.

It's previously been owned on here so will post them links or pics if they are happy.

Now the options:
Paint - it's a tired satin black with touch ups and all kinds, original paint, but replaced decals.
* DIY sand down and rattle can satin black just like i did on my factory Prestige.
* Pay £150 + for Bob Jackson orange fade? I'm not sure it's good enough for a pricey paint job but maybe...
* Powdercoat a solid colour - Black Gloss - Black Satin - Orange - White.

Groupset:
* It's currently got an old Suntour headset and I've just got some well used but hopefully restorable Suntour XC Comp MD parts inc Hubs/Wheels.
* I've got a brand new DX Headset and seat post, and could gather up most of a Shimano DX groupo.

Stem
* Stalk with bulge at top of quill needing paint and rubber bung for top, or Girvin Flex Stem, really wanted one BITD just a bit chunky, or slim Specialized one.

Also I have some used Orange colour Ram Rods!

Also Also, I have an orange Flite or White Turbo new

So it could go the not perfect used/Black theme, or bright non original or really fancy clean and tidy big spend.

Ideas/comments on a post card!
Cheers

Attachments

• clockwork 21.jpg
    clockwork 21.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 639
  • clockwortk 21 comp2.jpg
    clockwortk 21 comp2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 639
  • Clockwork 21 comp.jpg
    Clockwork 21 comp.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 638
  • Clockwork1.jpg
    Clockwork1.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 406
Re:

Tough one really as the orange/white looks ace but is a bit spendy. Black is always :cool: but suites the Prestige more IMO and it would have to have the wide spaced decals.

Groupset wise I'd go Suntour as I did one too many DX builds and got burn out. Same dilemma for me with my orange/white as I have a mint Suntour and XT groupo. I want to use the black XT headset (Suntour polished silver) but the Suntour wheels with 231CD rims (others are Hope on silver 231's). It's sat un-built for over a year as I can't decide which way to go. :facepalm:

Re:

Cool, I do love a clockwork.
I’ve probably got some spare xcComp parts (spares for my ‘92 Prestige) and other Orange bits eg lite stick seat post if you need anything.
Signed in for updates.

Re:

Get a respray in orange/white, or whatever colour you fancy.

Suntour would be cool.

Re:

+1 for Suntour here, DX is smashing stuff but another Suntour clockwork on here would be cool!

Stem wise I would try and make use of the Stalk, I can't help but think the flexstem would look a bit heavy up top and the Specialized just seems wrong somehow. I always think that T-bones or early Control Tech stems look especially nice on these as an alternative.

As for colour, how's about recreating the grey colour way perhaps? A bit more unusual than the black and sure to be cheaper to paint than the fade. With the right decals you could have something like the one below (which some members on here may recognise!)

Attachments

• Clockwork%20006.jpg
    Clockwork%20006.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 568
Thanks for the interest. Thats a really great set of comments point and ideas!
I've been going over in my head my various options for various retro Orange builds. It's got a little out of control TBH 3 19" Prestige 1993 and 1 1992 21" Clockwork this one, the 1993 pictured which is nothing but a donor/pub bike now, and 1998/9 era P7 in 19" too. Not all will stay especially if something else comes up. On the look out for orange fad or larger frames/bikes or 1990-1992 Prestige.

That said this 1992 Clockwork is a great all rounder base. it's big and not super light. If it's the only Clockwork I build I'd like it Orange white fade. My prestige BITD was satin black though, it reminds me of that slightly.
Also if the paint is nice the components need to be too. I like the idea of the grey/white a lot too, that was an idea for the 1993 if it wasn't busted.

Condition wise, it's just touch ups and scrapes here n there, and the paint has been abraisivily rubbed off around the serial number too, possibly to see the number through paint. It was a concern but I can trace it back 2 owners to one on here who doesn't remember any issue there. I'll get some proper pics with my proper camera soon these are quick rushed reference pics off my phone. I could build as it is with used components and it's be OK it's have the well used patina about it.

So Suntour MD components from donor are a bit rough unfortunately, the shifters look great though. Pro, or Comp, sorry again rubbish pics there. Rear wheel is bashed and out of shape a pit as they are m231 CD like I had BITD, hubs need service, or replacement. LH CRank is stuck on so far and looks cross thread. I might build up new bits yet for this or another.

Also now got some used XT mechs coming and have sti shifters or Deore Thumbs available.

So I'm no wiser just yet but your comments and help are appreciated. Cheers :cool:

Attachments

• suntour shifters md1.jpg
    suntour shifters md1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 507
  • suntour md shifter.jpg
    suntour md shifter.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 507
  • suntour md pedal.jpg
    suntour md pedal.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 507
  • suntour flex.jpg
    suntour flex.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 507
  • suntour md cass.jpg
    suntour md cass.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 507
  • suntour md rings.jpg
    suntour md rings.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 507
  • Suntour md mech.jpg
    Suntour md mech.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 507
Here are some close up pics o give you an idea of the paint condition, It probably needs redoing I think, would look ok as a survivor but could look a load better...

Also I picked up some used Suntour XC Pro parts locally this week, a XCP Chainset. and XC ? Brake levers. I already have the NOS XC SE cantilevers, so doing a Suntour MD build is a real possibility now.

Attachments

• Clockwork DT.jpg
    Clockwork DT.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 400
  • Clockwork Serial.jpg
    Clockwork Serial.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 400
  • Clockwork TT2.jpg
    Clockwork TT2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 401
  • Clockwork3.jpg
    Clockwork3.jpg