Wear a helmet or not?

Re: Helmet

I think it's a generational thing. I see Mum and Dad with no helmet and their kids with £5.99 cheapo stuff on their heads like they're trying to show them an example!

If people realised how many serious head injuries are caused at low speed they wouldn't leave the house without one.

Even if I'm testing a bike I've built to sell on I'll always wear one.

I invested in a top quality safety standard helmet and will never go out without it. No matter how much it costs, it's cheap.

I'm sorry but I don't see this point of view. If I walked around the streets of London wearing an anti-stab vest does that mean people would want to stab me!

What a ridiculous argument. From an individual perspective, if some one raps you on the head with their knuckles it hurts like hell. With a helmet it doesn't. QED.

I'm not saying it should be a legal requirement but you wouldn't drive your car without wearing a seat belt as it could lead to serious injury. I'm sorry but I just can't see the difference in the overall risk. The money that has been invested in helmet development is staggering and I know from personal experience that wearing a helmet saves lives.

Most helmet manufacturers opt for the lowest EN standard for their tests, which is a very low standard, there are higher ones but they are not met these days. So to assume the money spent is improving the safety aspect of the helmet is probably not wise.

Yes but a lot of Government money was initially put in to raise the standard of the tests and once raised the level of investment was reduced. The manufacturers aren't charities.

They are just something else to lug around that's been driven by marketing and cheap modern far east manufacturing processes.

Why is it when you visit a building site there are signs everywhere banning you from entering the site without the correct headgear in the likelihood that you'll be hit by a falling object that is as much chance of winning the lottery since they introduced the extra ball; yet wearing a helmet is deemed to be non-essential. I don't get it.

Latest posts

Back