Show us what you did today, thread

Re:

The pics previous to these are from last week on the hottest day of the year here so far, and I went in from the opposite side.

Last weeks run gave me a good idea as to what was in store (or so I thought) for the whole route, so yesterday I did the whole thing, starting from the Bogha Glas side as I did in April.

So.... yesterday was another scorcher, but not as savage as last week was, and with the 'Sheep' equipped with gears now and with the taste still in my mouth from last week, I started the route!

It was properly hot again with far too many biting flies, and a road-block of ginger and black Highland cattle at one point, but it soon got interesting!

It's a steady climb almost to Loch Langabhat, at which point the track actually splits, and looking at where I was decided that left with a steady descent was the right idea, not right and down a huge descent with massive rocks and hairpin bends... but after checking my phone and Google, turns out the steep way was the right way, so I back-tracked and down I went!

The forks on the 'Sheep' took a battering though! Some really iffy stuff for a rigid bike to be honest, a light-weight full-sus would have been perfect! Watching where I was going I was aware at how much the forks were bending back and forth, especially adding in the braking forces of trying to slow down 15 stones of rider too!

Anyway, I made it down to a bridge at the bottom of the valley, at about an hour in. But, as the old adage goes... what goes down, must go up!

An hour of walking, pushing the bike later, I got to the top, the views all the way just stunning.

After another great downhill section and around a corner, suddenly Loch Chleistir came into view... one of those moments where it takes your breath away and you just stand there and let it soak in.

Just over the brow of the next hill was the descent that took me to where I had stopped last week, looking down to Loch Bhoisimid, so I knew that I'd reconnect with the 4x4 track and it would be a smooth run back to the car where the Mrs would be waiting for me. :cool:

The day saw no major mechanical issues, the chain hopping over the big cog and jamming being the only one, and I was very aware on at least half a dozen occasions that if I'd been running tubes I'd have had flats... tubeless is def the way to go! My only other problem was that I had one drinks bottle, and yesterday that just wasn't enough.

All-in it was just under three hours with photo stops, and I think the most satisfying and enjoyable day I've ever had on a mountain bike. :cool:

Here are the last batch of pics showing the winding, hairpin bends... but the photos really don't do it justice!

Cheers!

Attachments

• bg10.jpg
    bg10.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 393
  • bg9.jpg
    bg9.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 393
  • bg8.jpg
    bg8.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 393
  • bg7.jpg
    bg7.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 393
  • bg6.jpg
    bg6.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 393
  • bg5.jpg
    bg5.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 393
  • bg4.jpg
    bg4.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 393
  • bg3.jpg
    bg3.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 393
I so want to get over to do this ride. Are you up for guiding us if we get a group together?

Jamie

I know what you mean about that left turn. It looks like the obvious path, but isn't. :)

The tracks look better defined than I remember. Looks like the Trust has been putting some work in.

The bridge wasn't there last time I did that one (or I didn't see it!). I'm pretty sure the only track I could see then led down to the right of that bow in the river. It was boggy and the river was running high so I had to do a mighty leap and nearly went in when the peaty bank caved on me.

The hills were hooching with deer to the left of the climb up those zig zags.

I reckon it would be too much hike a bike for me now, although I'd like to run it again. It would be a great ride for the fit folk.

Edit: Just realised, if the tracks have been worked on, there's probably not much hike a bike involved anymore.

Re:

You’re spot-on Brian... is there any track in Scotland you’ve not been on?! :LOL:

I stopped to talk to a couple of hikers that had just waked it and they mentioned they’d done it before but that the bridge was new. The track takes a wee detour over the bridge with a newly created path, there’s one at the other side just after the big fishing hut and a matching bridge too.

“A good ride for the fit folk”...?! I’m so very far from fit, you’re waaaay fitter than I, you’d manage it no bother, and I took my time! An hour pedalling to the bridge with that iffy descent, an hour pushing the bike up hill, and an hour downhill and on the flat past the eagle observatory back to the car park is comfortable timing.

The ground is very dry just now with all the sun and no rain we’ve been having so there was no boggy ground to traverse. It was for me the most perfect day, exploring a new place for the first time, beautiful scenery and the peacefulness. :cool:

Re:

Today I did the "Methlick Cycle Challenge" a charity challenge/sportive of 20, 40, or 67 miles in aid of Legion Scotland.

Myself and a friend did the 67miler that starts in Methlick to the north of Aberdeen and takes a in a few quiet B roads, tracks, paths, and part of the Formartine & Buchan way, before finishing back at Methlick with a burger and a beer tent :cool:
I ride my GT Grade gravel bike with 650b x 47c tyres, my friend was on his flat bar hybrid bike with 700 x 25c tyres (which I think he regretted fairly quickly as he found the skinny tyres just didn't give any shock absorption whatsoever).

There was a decent field of riders for the 67mile event, cross bikes seemed popular, as did hardtail MTB's. I did see one guy on a retro looking rigid Kona, and there were a few full-bounce mtbs around too.
The start was slightly overcast but that soon burnt away to leave us all sweltering in bright sunshine as we tackled the first hilly 20 miles or so. It was Hot, and I mean HOT!! :shock: we were thankful for the feed stations that were dotted along the course.
There's some fantastic scenery on the area, in the distance we could see the peaks of Bennachie, and later we rode past the impressive looking Haddo House.
By about mile 50 though we were on the long uphill drags of the old railway line of the Formartine & Buchan Way, which is when my friend went downhill when we were going uphill :LOL: he wasn't so amused though as cramp started to set in, so we walked for a while and had a good long break at the next feed station, which seemed to sort him out .
The last 15 miles were a quick blast along B-roads followed by some double-track and finally the finish at the cricket ground in Methlick.
Every finisher got a mug, a photo with the veterans, and a free burger :D. Unfortunately I had to give the beer tent a miss as I was driving home :(

This was the 2nd time I've done the event and I'd definately recommend it to anyone within driving distance. A real friendly atmosphere, well organised and signposted, a nice route through some beautiful countryside and it's retro bike friendly!

I'll probably do it again next year :)

Only a few photos as I was too busy riding!

Attachments

• 20180715_144417-597x1061.jpg
    20180715_144417-597x1061.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 20180715_103816-597x1061.jpg
    20180715_103816-597x1061.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 20180715_104217-1062x597.jpg
    20180715_104217-1062x597.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 20180715_104221-1062x597.jpg
    20180715_104221-1062x597.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 257
  • Screenshot_20180715-175540-576x1024.png
    Screenshot_20180715-175540-576x1024.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 257
Looking like a good ride and day out Jimo :)
Yesterday Velo and I rode the East Lothian Rough Stuff Audax. I travelled down to Perth on Saturday afternoon and got an early start past Edinburgh. Velo and I were in the third group to start. It was nice and warm with very dusty trails. We had a pretty quick time of it as we powered away to finish early afternoon. I think we were so much quicker than last year as we didn't do any long detours or miss turns etc.
It was good to get away and also really good to catch up and ride with Velo. I had a really enjoyable day. A long drive home with the rain starting just as I got back to Edinburgh and then a bit on and off for the rest of the way back. So we really were lucky with the weather, especially compared to last year, which was some of the worst since we went to the Fort William ride that few years back.
Thanks for the company and the laughs Velo.

Jamie

DSCN4882 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4884 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back