Can anyone do sheet metal work?

Re:

If I needed to carry that much, I'd hire a car. :p

Seriously though, I want to keep the whole thing fairly light so that it doesn't feel like I'm pedalling a freight train. Not having 4 large panniers forces you to keep things to a minimum.

I've done a bit of backpacking in the past, and if you have a large 65 litre rucksack, it's tempting to fill it and then have a miserable time lugging it around. Whereas, if you have a 40 litre rucksack, you'll take what you can fit in it and make do, even if it means doing a bit of laundry during your trip.

Modern synthetic clothes are really good, they hold so little moisture and dry really quickly. At a pinch you can put them on damp and they'll dry while you wear them.

I like to travel with certain degree of style and comfort.

And solo. Difficult choices though. Kimono or smoking jacket etc.

Can someone do me a large sheet steel robot, that splits and opens like a sarcophagus ?.

Would need to be about 5 or 6' high, by about 30" wide, and 20-24" deep.

I need three of them and im not kidding.

Seriously.

In all honesty legs arent required, pretty much just the main torso/head

Something ive a few drawings of. Ive a few ideas but its how i create the shapes of head,neck shoulders. Do i construct a frame, then lay flat steel across it, marking, then cutting and welding seams :?
Tricky trying to work out in your head how to form one of these sarcophagus shapes so it holds its shape.

dyna-ti":181kbpmk said:
Can someone do me a large sheet steel robot, that splits and opens like a sarcophagus ?.

Would need to be about 5 or 6' high, by about 30" wide, and 20-24" deep.

I need three of them and im not kidding.

Seriously.

In all honesty legs arent required, pretty much just the main torso/head

Something ive a few drawings of. Ive a few ideas but its how i create the shapes of head,neck shoulders. Do i construct a frame, then lay flat steel across it, marking, then cutting and welding seams :?
Tricky trying to work out in your head how to form one of these sarcophagus shapes so it holds its shape.
Spinal Tap reunion tour?

Set of wardrobes.

Sat on an Iroko base of drawers.

If you think about it, one of the sifi robots were all barrel chested sarcophagus shaped. Suits, jackets etc would fit into that shape.

Just one of me flights of design fancy :) Nice to envision, bloody difficult to execute. Just all this talk of sheet metal manipulation brought it all up again. :)

Re:

Here's what I finally ended up making using a piece of aluminium flat bar 200 x 20 x 5mm.

I drilled and tapped 2 holes at one end to mount the bottle to, then a series of holes at the other end to attach the bracket to the frame and adjust the position so that the bottle is moved down the down the down tube towards the bottom bracket and out of the way of the frame bag:

BottleBracket.gif

FrameBag01.jpg

FrameBag02.jpg

Where's the other bottle going? In the bin?

A disappointing if simple solution. 3/10. Resit in January.

Re:

Having seen the height of your stem, would it be possible to fit bottles either side of your head-tube, with a standoff bracket on head-tube itself? Although not as simple to make as bracket you have now, it would give you 2 bottles like you originally wanted. Think they should be out of way unless you have knees like a grasshopper. :mrgreen:

Re:

Where's the other bottle going? In the bin?

What other bottle? I only really need one, pootling around Kent and Sussex is not exactly like crossing the Gobi dessert, you're never that far from a pub, café, or tea shop. :p

Having seen the height of your stem

Yup, sky high. Sadly, short, non suspension corrected forks, a short head tube and a 50 year old back aren't the happiest of bed fellows. Although to some extent, it's not my back that gives me grief when the front is too low, it's my neck. :(

Back