Talk to me about fixed and single speed

Cymro":3ngm1j3p said:
Looks good but I would wear shin pads if you intend using those pedals. with clip in pedals you just get a reminder nudge if you stop pedaling, at first your reflexes may not twig what is happening so beware. Perhaps with flat pedals you may actually learn quicker than the shin scars take to heal.
Yes, minimum clips and straps. My first season fixed was before clipless went mainstream, bought a set of MKS Mapstage about 6 months after. Transformed the fixed riding.

Re:

Give it a go Single speed first, get a bit used to just the one gear for everything (and watch your thumb or finger instinctively try and operate the shifter that's no longer there :LOL: ).
Then get straps or sod and try fixed. It's a bit "weird" even compared to Single speed, but you soon get used to it.

Re:

This thread gets better and better.

Well done LGF, but what we are all dying to know is did it throb, pulse and knock the earth in another orbit? Did you call Tom Hanks to sort it out? Did it feel like triangles having a sumo? Trapazoids wrestling in a scrum perhaps, or more like 1st generation Biopace?

Please don't say it felt like riding a bike because we are cyclists you know.

Just had a tooth count (sad way to fritter away such a beautiful day I know)
42 x 17 with 700cc wheels.
Gave it a good clean and re oiling while doing so.

Do not give up, just go somewhere quiet and have a shortish session, it may take half a dozen of these sessions and it will become second nature to you.
Just be careful if crossing a road not to get caught out with your pedal stroke as you cannot back pedal to get going out of the way if you have to stop mid way.
I bought a racing type upright trike 2 years ago and the learning curve was very steep indeed and more luck than judgement not to bend it and myself.
Keep at it.

Re:

Hope LGF doesn't mind me sharing the results of my experiments into "chainring tooth visitation routines" on his thread:

38 x 16. 94(edit:96) links in chain. (pesky vertical dropouts and chain tensioner!)

The marked link visits the chainring teeth in this order:

I'm quite reassured. At least it visits all the odd-numbered teeth. There is always the option of a half-link chain..

Very interesting, but if the chain is in line as it should be then none of this matters. The drive can be smoother with larger chainwheel and cog.

In the 1950s we often had to file the chainring teeth to make the extreme out of line gears run smoother.

Keith

Re:

Well, different things matter to different people, Keith. With fixed/single speed I'm quite attached to the idea of having a given link visit every tooth on the chainring, even if it's impossible with an even tooth-count ring. The closer I can get, the better..

Back