Shifter compatibility

Re:

:)

There is (or was) some truth in the saying Shimano wears out, Campag wears in.

Low level Shimano always seemed to develop slop, whereas low level Campag stayed clunky forever.

The only issues with Shimano are the constant changes in front mech/ shifter compatabilities over the years. You just dont know what you're gonna get when mixing it up.

Sure, down tube/ barcon shifters help with friction on the left but when using brifters, it can be a minefield.

The rear end has been pretty stable for the past 30 years with even 10spd mechs compatible with 7/8/9spd shifting.

As you are using friction shifters do you know for sure that your rear mech is from the indexing generation, if so Campag down tube levers should work fine but-
You will need to slow the rear derailleur movement down to index with the shimano cassette.
See www.cornant.uk site scroll down to technical information and open rear derailleurs and indexing and you will see diagrams explaining what to do.
I have done it for 8 speed in the past with screw on freewheels and have a similar setup now with ten speed.
Not rocket science but does work perfectly.

There's a similar table on Sheldon Browns site as well which I've used successfully to re space Shimano cassettes for use in Campag systems

Re:

Right, I've decided to swap to Shimano, the rear mechs sorted but I need clamp on 8 speed shifters.
Anyone got any before I buy the Sunrace ones?

Back