Retrobike Touring.

Slipped across to the IoM for a few days of the TT this year and a £60 Kona Smoke frame I built up with leftover parts. Long, stable and not worth nicking (I hope). About 35 miles straight run from mine in Manchester to Liverpool Pier Head, then a few rides across the island trying to dodge the wannabe racers to get to good viewing areas - probably less than 200 miles all in. The weather was amazing and the island is a treat to ride around - worth going when quieter than TT fortnight, I'm sure. Didn't pack light - took an older, roomier and heavier tent, with a Chinese-copy bed and lots of trimmings, as it was five nights on a Douglas rugby field after all. The lil folding chair is a game-changer - I take it everywhere now. Expensive but worth it.

Attachments

• TT18.jpg
    TT18.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_6876.jpg
    IMG_6876.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_6862.jpg
    IMG_6862.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_6753.jpg
    IMG_6753.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_6747.jpg
    IMG_6747.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_6709.jpg
    IMG_6709.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_5974.jpg
    IMG_5974.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 551
Chair is a Helinox - there are many alternatives/copies. Don't buy the ones with legs as they sink into soft ground/sand.
Bed and table are Amazon jobbies - Trekology and YAHILL.

Rod_Saetan":2g5fe8v6 said:
This is quite long, apologies in advance!

Finding myself with a couple of days at the end of the week free and mindful of the fact that I need to get some miles in I put the word out to a couple of friends that I had another 48 hour ride in mind, one was free and a rough plan was hatched. Due to the mind-blowing price of train tickets we opted to leave at a ‘Super off peak’ time and departed Victoria at about a quarter to ten for the large village of Bearsted in Kent. I’d picked this station purely because it was far enough out of London to help us avoid the built up, less pleasant riding and because it was just under £25 for an open return. Having procured a couple of maps for the areas we were touring and done some Google maps research I had a fair idea of the plan, and we did a little more plotting on the train and decided to see how we were doing as we went, however carrying everything with you allows a certain degree of freedom............

r.

what a great read ! was it really as flat as ypur pics indicate ? id like to see pics of the bikes next time please ;)

mrkawasaki":20xcaxbr said:
Slipped across to the IoM for a few days of the TT this year and a £60 Kona Smoke frame I built up with leftover parts. Long, stable and not worth nicking (I hope). About 35 miles straight run from mine in Manchester to Liverpool Pier Head, then a few rides across the island trying to dodge the wannabe racers to get to good viewing areas - probably less than 200 miles all in. The weather was amazing and the island is a treat to ride around - worth going when quieter than TT fortnight, I'm sure. Didn't pack light - took an older, roomier and heavier tent, with a Chinese-copy bed and lots of trimmings, as it was five nights on a Douglas rugby field after all. The lil folding chair is a game-changer - I take it everywhere now. Expensive but worth it.

more gear than a family of four would take :shock: ;) how do you charge your mobile ?

Used an Anker PowerCore II 10000 - easily lasted the 5 days, even playing music thro a speaker as I ride (don’t get on with headphones). I use the 80 to 20% method to eke out battery life, as I use Viewranger to track and map in real time too.

The History Man":1hqxd4vv said:
More pictures of kit and stopping points please! It all adds to the pleasure of reading.

I tried to take a few more pictures this time and kept my bag in my top tube bag after lugging my compact digital camera round the first time without taking a single picture! Kit list for these shorter sojourns is:

Rab Storm bivvy
Mountain Equipment Xero 350 sleeping bag (too warm!)
Thermarest NeoAir XLite mat
MSR Pocket rocket
MSR cooking pot and bowl
Titanium mug and Spork
Small battery charger
Merino beanie
Rab waterproof lightweight jacket (pillow!)
A few plasters, Ibuprofen, sun cream, chamois cream
Frame fit pump
Two tubes
Ritchey mini tool
Zip tie with a key
Money/cards
Spare socks
Some coffee
Ortlieb 2 litre water bag
Soreen malt loaf
OS maps
Orange pen

enc":1hqxd4vv said:
was it really as flat as ypur pics indicate ? id like to see pics of the bikes next time please ;)

Yup. Some hills in the first few/last few miles and you have to climb a little to get onto the cliffs but there was very little elevation overall. Bike is the same as pictured earlier in the thread for the previous trip but now dustier! Building up a Mercian this week with mudguards and more carrying capacity, should get out on that before we head to Scotland too.

Re:

@mrkawasaki - Great looking set-up. The bike / tyre combo look like it would go anywhere. Which route did you take to Liverpool from Manchester? canal path?

I picked up a new tent Saturday - Berghaus Peak 3.1 - £63.

https://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping ... -tent.html

Also found a 1/2 season Eurohike sleeping bag at a car boot for £3. Should be lighter & less bulky than the one I was going to take, although I'm sure not as warm. Don't worry it's being thoroughly disinfected / washed before I use it!

Borrowed an Alpkit Brukit stove from a friend. Nice bit of kit: https://www.alpkit.com/products/brukit

Other than working out how to tether all the stuff to my bike I think I have everything now. Going to try my first ever 1-nighter next weekend all being well.

Joe

Latest posts

Back