Marin Muirwoods any good?

Re:

For £50, if you've got the room, why not?

I've got a 1991 grey zolatone Muirwoods with fluro green front end. It gets more compliments (for its colour scheme) than anything I've got. One woman asked to take a photo the other day!

I keep it at work for riding around London as I don't mind leaving it locked up outside when I'm out and about. It is cromo but most if not all tubes are straight gauge and the components look smart but weigh a ton. Not for more serious riding.

I also have a silver 1999 Muirwoods frame built up with XT which is brilliant. By then frame was 4130 cromo and double butted so pretty cool actually.

Re:

I’ve always liked the zolatone Marins, I think they have real presence. I hear the response re the Muirwoods, and it’s not going to be for me.

Im trying to cull all the deadwood and, though cheap this would just add to it.

If anyone is interested in it I’ll talk to the guy in the shop and see if I can get some pics/contact info.

And the '96 Palisades Trail?

Rather than start a new, very similar thread, I thought I'd tack this question on at the end of this one: Has anyone had any experience of the '96 Palisades Trail? It's the first aluminium Palisades that Marin produced, with STX and GripShift adorning it. Hardly any reviews from owners online and weight estimates varying from 35lbs to 27lbs with a Quadra fork on (which would probably make the fully rigid original about 11.5kg if true).

Any info about weight, ride quality, etc. much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit: ignore the above - I bought one anyway and answered my own questions.

I have a 93 muirwoods (google it, the colour scheme is great imo) and i have a 2004 muirwoods.
The 93 looks fantastic and rides great, for me. People often want to talk about it when out.
I had to restore it and im glad i did.
The 04 muirwoods is my favourite bike out of all my bikes. Ill never ever get rid of it.
Got some fat tyres amd upgraded parts and it regularly gets real mucky and put through its paces.

I love mine - 1996, tho I replaced the seat, and the breaks - used Marin Lite and Koolstops - it made all the difference in the world. Funny someone said something about handling... not in my experience. Same goes for shifting - once you the hang of it - it shifts like an XT setup.

I love the feel of old Marins, very fast (stiff rear) and I don’t find the steering slow but that could be just me.
I think that’s a 92 or 91? Both were good years, they went off the boil later IMHO

Muirwoods sits below the Palisades, so is entry level to the “proper” range with 200GS groupset, but despite the derogatory comment previously it’s fully butted Tange Chro-mo with afterburner stays

However it’s worth £50, no more unless it’s mint/resto

Ive been so impressed with bith my muirwoods, i was thinking of collecting one from each year. We shall see lol.
Love the zolatone paintjob. I had it on my 90 palisades.

Latest posts

Back