Votes: 5 29.4%
  • History preserving Retro-Mod

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

PeachyPM":12aj8sbe said:
kermitgreenkona88":12aj8sbe said:
I'll pay postage and can hang it on my wall if you like :?: ;)

You’re on! £400 and I’ll even gift wrap it! :xmas-big-grin:

Only joking..... she’s mine, all mine..... :twisted:

Re: 1949 Claud Butler Olympic Path #931600E (Stars & Stripes)

You might have noticed that the two "Stars & Stripes" threads (original post & Poll) have been merged, Thanks Jamie.
Also, the name has been changed and the whole lot will be moved over to Readers Rides asap. Hope this doesn’t confuse anyone, we just thought it would be better this way.....

They (the Retro-mod gang) think it’s all over! But what’s this coming to spoil the Shimano party?

Mr Chater Lea that's who... with his funky 1.45" x 26tpi obsolete bottom bracket size.

I must admit I was getting a little disheartened with how crap the paint looked after bloody hours of works, so I thought I would have a dry run with the 90's Jap kit, just for a break from monotonous cleaning. But of course, silly me... no BB will fit this other than the one it came with.... so I'm afraid that’s it... she’s getting a coat of wax, all the surviving kit will go back on and the frame will get a close wrap with waxed brown paper. then she's getting hung up till I can muster the strength to start again on a full restoration.

I'll break it to the lad gently in the morning over his coco pops :(

I would do it later otherwise Coco Pops will forever have a sour taste ;)

Jamie

Give him All Bran. That way the bike problem will seem like good news.

PeachyPM":36r0ryn5 said:
They (the Retro-mod gang) think it’s all over! But what’s this coming to spoil the Shimano party?

Mr Chater Lea that's who... with his funky 1.45" x 26tpi obsolete bottom bracket size.

I must admit I was getting a little disheartened with how crap the paint looked after bloody hours of works, so I thought I would have a dry run with the 90's Jap kit, just for a break from monotonous cleaning. But of course, silly me... no BB will fit this other than the one it came with.... so I'm afraid that’s it... she’s getting a coat of wax, all the surviving kit will go back on and the frame will get a close wrap with waxed brown paper. then she's getting hung up till I can muster the strength to start again on a full restoration.

Can't you go square taper axle and ball races with the original BB cups? If you know the axle bearing distance I might be able to help with that

Failing that I've got a box of very old cottered cranks and chainrings somewhere which may be of use

allenh":16vmtmu9 said:
Can't you go square taper axle and ball races with the original BB cups? If you know the axle bearing distance I might be able to help with that

Failing that I've got a box of very old cottered cranks and chainrings somewhere which may be of use

Thanks for the offer Allen, but the Retro-mod was only ever a fun stop-gap until I had time to do the bike justice.

She’s gone back into the “queue”

PeachyPM":zdjtz02y said:

Sensible. Each period has it's compatibilty issues. I was kind of wondering about the lack of braze-ons to run gears and brakes, and fitting band-on clip cable guides would probably ruin more paint.

Why not restore as a track bike?

After all, it does have "track" dropouts.

You could possibly treat your lad to take it for a spin at Herne Hill which would be a memorable experience.

Woz":3juh8ucr said:
PeachyPM":3juh8ucr said:

Sensible. Each period has it's compatibilty issues. I was kind of wondering about the lack of braze-ons to run gears and brakes, and fitting band-on clip cable guides would probably ruin more paint.

Why not restore as a track bike?

After all, it does have "track" dropouts.

It will be restored as a single speed flip/flop track/path bike, it came with a 19t and a 16t on its wheel. My plans are for it to keep the following kit;
Cinelli stem
Brampton Alatet Mk1 Head set
Gnutti cottered crank set
Chater Lea, cups/axle
Chater Lea pedals
Clement Albione 27”x1 ¼” rims
Plain aluminium seat post
Brooks swallow saddle

To complete I will probably add
Chromed Bailey bend bars
Bayliss-Wiley Featherweight or British hub Co Airlite 40h/32h Hubs
Stainless steel double butted spokes