Talk to me about fixed and single speed

Re:

I had one when I was young and stupid enough to use it about a 70" gear is right. On a run home one night I absolutely trounced my 2 mates on their geared bikes, just get a nice cadence and let it flow. Also had one chap who had a lovely Ishiwata 017 fixed and regularly beat all comers in our local time trials.

Re:

I ride singlespeed most of the time (52x18 when I worked in Lincolnshire but geared it down to 50x18 now I'm in the Cotswolds giving 73 gear inches).

Not for everyone but I would always choose it over my geared bike unless I'm climbing very steep hills, amazing what you can get up though when you don't have a choice.

Re: Re:

NeilM":2boqr832 said:
I sent a 72 year old pal of mine a photo of my recently finished Cougar, his reply was:

"Nice , very nice . go on do a fixed wheel if you dare . 69 inch gearing . the old training bikes . when you get tired they are a bugger . but there is nothing like em for building cadence and stamina .

PS with mudguards and a saddle bag to get some weight on em . oh yeah "
Sounds much like the fixed wheels i've had.

About 65-67" in November/December, then down a sprocket every 3-4 weeks from Jan to the race season (usually mid March for me.) so i'd usually be on about 79/80" by then.
Wouldn't do all my rides on fixed. Maybe 2 a week (out of 5 or 6). So ~100 miles in two chunks. And possibly a load of commuting.

I'm no where near 72.

I still know of guys in their 30's training on fixed through the winter. Don't do it here, as a) there's little supply of winterable fixed frames and b) you need sizeable studded tyres to stay upright for 4 or 5 months of the year.

And FWIW, i still find it difficult to not pedal smoothly. If you see what i mean. And it's at least 20 years since i've done a winter on fixed.

You’ll either love or hate fixed gear and it’s pretty much as simple as that. I ride 48x18 on mine which seems to be a good compromise between top speed and not knackering my 40 year old knees with all the traffic lights.

Re:

Sounds like the bike in question already has gears....soooo....go for a ride on it on your favorite routes and see what gears you use.

Note the lowest gear you used, then on SS use a sprocket about 2 teeth smaller. That will get you
in the ball park for your fitness / landscape.

;) Subscribing..... for educational reasons :?

Ive ridden fixed gear in Glasgow so its a bit hilly and have used gears from 68 to 70 inches. I have found these gears very good for flats and long hills. Ive not used 3/32 chains and sprockets but have used 3/32 non ramped chainrings with no problems. I don't know if there is a good range of 3/32 sprockets. It can be difficult to get the chain line sorted and if it isn't its noisy. Velosolo is a good company for fixed gear parts.

Plus if you are interested in internal hub gears Sturmey Archer make a fixed gear three speed. SRAM make a freewheel that can be locked to make it a fixed wheel. Or at least they used to. Hope you enjoy the experience.

Back in the day 1950's the winter rear wheel was usually double sided fixed 68/72 inch gears, mudguards, lamps, & one or two house bricks in the saddle bag The wheels were slightly larger in dia being 27x1/11/4 rather than 700c & the typical winter bike weight was north of 32 lbs

Go for it. I've ridden 53/17, 50/17, 48/18 and currently 44/18. Nice cadence as a few others have mentioned, plus climbing hills on a fixed is great fun!

Back