Wilsons of Sheffield

(On Compact and just getting on with it) will be the most likely route I suspect, have most everything in the parts bin 'cept wheelset. Not ruining everything by putting Aksiums (my only spares) on...

Most likely getting wayyyyyyyy ahead of myself here, but having ordered a pair of Campag gloves (which are lovely) from Wilson, decided to see if a decal set might be on the cards if I wanted to go down the complete repaint route... and this is what the fantastic Nigel sent when I pressed the button.
Suffice to say, looks like a proper full revamp will be the order of the day, metallic grey / blue to go with the white decals.
Full disclosure: the f&f is still in Sheffield with eldest son, so not had a chance to check out things properly (hard to judge things via Skype) but thinking of looking out a 531 chromed fork or perhaps a 1" crabon (as have an adapter thingy) as part of the build. Plans, plans etc...

Attachments

• IMG_4490.JPG
    IMG_4490.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 375
Re:

That's great - fingers crossed that you don't discover any nasties! A mate of mine bought a custom built 753 with full DA in the late 80s - a stunning bike. They were very reasonably priced too.

Well, all back and here's the news - spread across a couple posts as there's a few pictures.
First off, the f&f 'as was'.
Lots of decals, a 'stuck seatpost' and the shonky headset.
Everything looks true, bit more corrosion at first glance than I'd hoped.
Seatpost looks like c.27mm, rear OLN is 130 (so must have been cold set during a refurb), front is 100mm.
Rear dropouts are forged but no other markings.
So far, so good...

Attachments

• IMG_4569.JPG
    IMG_4569.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_4570.JPG
    IMG_4570.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_4571.JPG
    IMG_4571.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_4575.JPG
    IMG_4575.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_4576.JPG
    IMG_4576.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 301
Hmm, pics appearing back to front. Oh well.
BB is 68mm, threads look ok.
So, seat post wasn't stuck - yay! Came right out. It's an SR and marked 26.8 but it's a tiny bit sloppy. Inside of the seatpost seems slightly distorted. Hmm.
Headset came off, also the chrome bits (crowns?) after some pfaffing. Fork is way heavy and is stamped 'TANGE (a number I can't make out)'. Crown race will need replacing. Bit corroded. Forks seem square.
Frame is well weighty! It's a size 58 but I think this must be 501? It's really heavily painted, but that can't be more than a couple of hundred grams tops?

Attachments

• IMG_4577.JPG
    IMG_4577.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_4578.JPG
    IMG_4578.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_4579.JPG
    IMG_4579.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_4580.JPG
    IMG_4580.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 301
And, next...
Striped all the stickies off, bar the vinyl lettering, which is nice.
The colour's a really nice sparkly blue and the flat orange is pretty neat. The overall refurb's not so great, masking between the colours on the seat tube is rubbish and was disguised by stickers.
The paint's coming away / bubbling in places. Have structural worries creeping in now.
Plenty of clearance (Open Pro's here have 28's on them for looking at the geometry) for wheel-set decisions.

Attachments

• IMG_4581.JPG
    IMG_4581.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_4582.JPG
    IMG_4582.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_4585.JPG
    IMG_4585.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_4586.JPG
    IMG_4586.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 300
One last thing for this evening...
On the BB is a braze-on cable guide, which the rear mech cable runs under to the stop on the chain stay. Simple enough, I think.
But but but...
For the front mech (which will be a clamp-on), there's a stop on the main down tube. And then, nothing else. How the hell does that work? How does the cable run from the stop to the mech? Seems like there's some kind of guide-y thing missing?
Hopefully you can see from the pic (looking down the seat tube to the top of the BB) the cable guide and the stop on the down tube. Am scratching my head :(

Attachments

• IMG_4587.JPG
    IMG_4587.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 299
Re:

You need a front mech with integrated cable stop, on my phone so can’t post a picture, but there are a few options.

Back