Raleigh Team Panasonic Colours Reynold 501 - ID ?

Re: Frame Raleigh Team Corsa Panasonic Colours Reynold 501

Hello people !

So the project is moving forward ! I almost have all the parts, there is one crucial one missing though : the bottom bracket.
So firstly I don't know if it's japanese or english threading, I assume english because of the brand Raleigh ? Any easy way to check that ?
Then second question, how do I know the length of the bottom bracket spindle ? I have a Shimano Golden Arrow double crankset to put on

Thanks !

Re:

I have a mid 80s Criterium that I've just resprayed (on another thread) it had a heavy stamping number under the bottom bracket like yours but also a much feinter Raleigh serial number stamped at the bottom of the seat tube that I only discovered after it had been stripped.
I guessed that the number on the BB might relate to the spec of the casting to be used in the factory rather than the individual frame number.
This also had 501db tubing and Gipiemme dropouts, but again was slightly different from its catalogue spec.
Hope this may be of some help.

Re: Frame Raleigh Team Corsa Panasonic Colours Reynold 501

Hi Southwestslacker1 ! Thanks for your informations !

I looked closely at the sticker on the bottom of the seat tube and also found a serial number, very very fade out on the sticker I can read 00133450, maybe this number will help identifying the bike ?

Re:

Sooo, it's finally coming to an end, the only problem i had were the shifter braze ons which are round and not the usual round + flat edges. This prevented me to use the Golden Arrow shifters :cry: , had to use some Simplex retrofriction instead. This also means that the frame may be later than 1984 or 1985 but maybe 1987 when Shimano introduced the Shimano 105 groupset that had a round shifter fitting. So this frame is definitely a mistery !

Here are the pics (before I changed the shifters), I am just missing the pedal straps that should arrive soon :)

Re:

Shimano Golden Arrow (levers, RM, FM, brakeset, chainset) was fitted to the first year Corsa (984) in Oyster - Pearl White, the only year in this finish. I know coz I bought a new one and still have it.

W prefix frame number across bottom bracket.

I haven't read the whole thread, did we agree it wasn't a Corsa - Corsa didn't have 'guard eyes ?

Rk.

N.B apologies if I'm repeating...good build though.

Re: Re:

roadking":1ckwxkvs said:
Shimano Golden Arrow (levers, RM, FM, brakeset, chainset) was fitted to the first year Corsa (984) in Oyster - Pearl White, the only year in this finish. I know coz I bought a new one and still have it.

W prefix frame number across bottom bracket.

I haven't read the whole thread, did we agree it wasn't a Corsa - Corsa didn't have 'guard eyes ?

Rk.

N.B apologies if I'm repeating...good build though.

Hi thanks for your comment, the Corsa was my first guess but it turned out to be a mystery, nothing really match anything !
The frame number is on the BB but apparently it is not following the usual Raleigh nomenclature, there is also another serial number under the 501 sticker that is different.

I had one of these with 501 which was a cadet. I sold it on ebay about 18months ago .There was little interest surprisingly and it sold for less than £100 . I concluded that the early models had 501 tubing and the model was later downgraded to gaspipe tubing. Raleigh did the same to the pioneer range of the same period, probably a futile attempt to remain competetive lower down the range.

Attachments

• cadet501.jpg
    cadet501.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 388
Back