And today I did......

Congratulations mate!
I'm sure you will be great at it and will like being back full time.
Well done!

Jamie

Last night I came up with this brilliant route for a DIY audax round Wester Ross and sent it to Jamie who is daft enough to want to do such things.

Today I woke early so thought it would be a neat idea to simply do the ride.

130 miles later I have come to the conclusion it isn't such a brilliant route. It's a wee bit lumpy and prone to headwinds... :)

Re:

Good work Brian it's all about exploration, trial & error. I do it all the time locally although not on the grand scale that you did :)

Re:

Bike maintenance this evening. Cleaned the drivetrain on the GT Grade, and fixed a long-running issue of disc rotors rubbing on the pads (more noticeable since changing from TRP to Ultegra rotors), undid the bleed screw at the lever and just pushed the pistons back a little (fluid came out as soon as I opened the bleed screw). Seemed like they were "overfilled " almost? Pads are barely worn, so should be ok still when i eventually fit new pads.
Anyway, got more free space now so that should help, previously if thecrotor was out of true by a gnats whisker it'd rub.

Well that didn't go as planned :facepalm:

Not back to work until Monday, so I thought I'd take a wee jaunt up to Comrie Croft. First climb is always a barsteward but today I couldn't get moving. Blood sugar is always high at the start of a ride but once it comes down a bit I usually settle in. Not today. Just couldn't find a groove. Climbing was bad, descending was bad, rock sections I normally don't think about were totally phasing me. It was pretty hot, but I really don't know what was up. Was really looking forward to it after a week off the bike on holiday with Sharron. Anyway, did the full red including the extra top loop and called it off.

Had some lunch back at the car and was annoyed with myself, so stopped off in Crieff to try the Hydro trails. A lot of work gone into them, but maintenance is being neglected and some stretches are pretty overgrown. A bit of an old school layout too, with climbing up fireroad to downhill singletrack sections. Signage is also pretty crap. Followed the Red DH until the end and followed the natural run out, as no sign. Unfortunately that trail led down to the next village and not back to the Hydro, so had to cycle 2 miles back along the A85. Not pleasant. Shame really, as they have good potential.

Todays mileage - 11 miles :oops:

That sounds like dehydration Clubby.

I recognise the symptoms - used to happen to me sometimes in Oz. The secret is to drink before you go out - enough to need a pee which is more than you think you need. Then you're set.

Yeah, that's one thing you learn back home, is to drink and stay hydrated before you ride as well as during. It's obvious back home but here I often get caught out because it's not usually hot like it has been lately. So I ride and tend not to drink enough when it's cool.

Jamie

Dug out a b******d tree stump.

What fun for a reluctant gardener - much better than taking my bike out for a ride on a day with glorious sunshine you'll all agree.

Why aren't we allowed to use explosives for this sort of job any more?

Back