Forks for C16R

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Finally got round to building up my C16R.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=359549&start=30

Predictably enough, the Rock Shox Indy SL I got cheap are a bit rubbish. They feel very soft and bottom out easily, handling is a bit vague. I've always ridden rigid (steel) forks in the past apart from on rented or borrowed bikes, I did quite fancy trying some suspension forks this time, but I'm reaching the conclusion that to get anything decent I will either have to spend proper money, or fix something up, or end up with a heavy bike. I don't want a heavy bike. I'm not a heavy bloke. And having to "maintain" forks is not a prospect I find particularly appealing.

So as a kind of compromise I was thinking about some of these. I guess I'd want the shorter (42.5) ones. Any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eXotic-Rigid ... 2809598545

If anyone has a better suggestion then I'm all ears.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Any thoughts on the exotics vs other options? Or should I service the Rock Shox? Budget is limited - I'd feel very guilty spending more than £100 here...

Re:

Exotics might be bit stiff and harsh, and look overly clunky for the rest of the bike - not a bad fork at all mind, but probably better off with a slimmer steel fork on that. In my opinion...

I think holding out for an Orange F7 would be the way to go, or just get any decent tapered steel curved blade fork (of the right length) and paint to match?

I've got a F7 fork, 1" threadless steerer cut to 160mm (so it might be a bit short - your C16R looks taller than mine), you're welcome to them for the cost of postage, which would be under £10 I reckon. The downside is that a) they started life dark green, b) I covered them in reflective tape and gaffer tape and lightly sprayed them with rattle-can where the tape didn't cover, to use them on the rat bike:
PeterOwen-1.jpg

...that said, the green paint is in pretty good condition under the tape, they're good and straight. Let me know if you want them. :)

Re: Re:

LongboardSi":zg9y6mac said:
Exotics might be bit stiff and harsh, and look overly clunky for the rest of the bike - not a bad fork at all mind, but probably better off with a slimmer steel fork on that. In my opinion...

I swapped from a triple butted P2 to an Exotic 42.5 on my Kona Singlespeed. There was no weight saving (V braked). Compared to the P2 it's a little less harsh and buzzy. The P2 is definitely harsher than a curved blade fork.

Pierre":1krnk2x7 said:
I've got a F7 fork, 1" threadless steerer cut to 160mm (so it might be a bit short - your C16R looks taller than mine), you're welcome to them for the cost of postage

It's a very kind offer, but frame is 1 1/8". Thanks anyway.

Rode the bike to work today via a fairly uneven gravel trail... really great fun, and actually the plushness of the Rockshox was very welcome (felt like it was helping me go faster) so maybe they're not all that bad. Saying that they are just a bit too soft I think, and the adjusters seem to do little or nothing to alter that. I might try giving them a service and seeing if I can pack out the springs somehow to stiffen them up. OTOH, maybe I should just save up for something nicer.

I think the Exotics are out anyway. Thanks for comments so far.

Pierre":2vvgde5f said:
...might be time to search for a pair of Pace RC36s ;)

Yeah... I think you may be right. Currently resisting the urge to splash out on a set on eBay... the bike needs some tweaks to gears etc and I need money to take the kids on holiday. Once the rest of the bike is perfect maybe I'll treat myself to an upgrade.

Pierre":vrspij1c said:
...might be time to search for a pair of Pace RC36s ;)

If I did get a set, would I need new brakes? I remember reading somewhere that parallel push XTs don't work right mounted on the back of forks. Am I going mad?

Back