HELP!!! Getting a brake cable through a stem internally....

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
At my wit's end!! :evil:

I've a 3T stem with internal cable routing for the brake, basically like the one in the pic. How the hell do you get the brake inner through it cleanly....?? I've poked a piece of wire through and that comes out the other side, but not a cable, no siree.....

Have tried it with a brake noodle plastic cover thingy over it, tried taping it to the wire and pulling through, tried foul language, threats, beating.... :facepalm: :facepalm:

TIA!!

Attachments

• A Stem 1.jpg
    A Stem 1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 360
Have you tried doing it back to front? With a well lubed inner? Then use it to clean up the inside back and forth etc?

Re:

Sort of.....but probably not been as thorough as I might have been in my impatience! :LOL:

I'm having my tea then I will try again. With cider this time.

(Cider for me, not the cable!)

I presume your using a new cable? Grease it up nicely and it should slide through.

Good luck and let us know :)

Re:

you could try getting cotton thread into first hole push it in aliot get vaccum hose on the second hole until it sucks through the thread out of exit sstem hole then with thread into first sticking ut of 2 nd hole attach inner cable with tape (electriical works good) and neatly then pull thread from exit hole until inner cable comes through the second stem hole - worked with kleins internal cable routing for me previously good luck!

:LOL: Have you sorted it yet?

What i do is run a piece of the thin outer cable housing through first. The stuff that goes between stops on a top tube. Its then easy to thread the cable through that, i also find leaving the housing in makes the cable run a bit smoother when braking :)

Mark

Re:

Anyone in the southwest corner of the country want to pop out and have a listen see if they can hear her :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

:LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for all the tips and hints, guys....

I'm back in now, I've tried the thin plastic tube stuff Mark, makes F all difference. Stupid thing is, it goes in fine from the 'wrong' end but seems to hit something when done from the 'right' end. Starting to wonder if there's a bit of outer ferrule or something stuck in there? Could explain why the bike came with this lovely stem and yet had a headset mounted cable guide thing (which I'm starting to think I may refit but then it makes it difficult to adjust the headset nuts up properly :facepalm: )

This is a budget build in that as I was given the whole bike, I've decided I mustn't spend anything on it, and can only use what's in the spares boxes. Most of the useful bits of which I have long since karma'd on myself never expecting to have such an old bike ever again.... :roll:

Back