Removing brazed parts.

curzons246

Retro Guru
Hi all,
I have a Reynolds 531c frame and forks which I looking to refinish myself. It has about 12 very small loops brazed to the frame which I believe are to secure cable for a lighting system. I have no need of them and want to remove them before I paint the frame. Can anybody advise me please on removing them. It seems to be one thing that's not covered on YouTube cheers Bill.

If you have a DREMEL multi tool the cut off disc's sanding drums in the accessories kit will help taken a LITTLE at a TIME

Re:

Heat gun, gas one not the electrical stuf for paint, is the fastest and easiest to clean. It's nothing hard to do, apply heat and pull it with plyers every now and then. If you feel movement pull it off. Then you only need to remove some brass, works faster than dremel the whole thing off.

Re:

Hi Bart,
Will the steel be glowing red when the brass melts and do I need to let the frame cool naturally or course it in water? It's been 45yrs since I did metalwork at school. Thanks Bill.

You don't have to get the metal red hot, certainly not the tubing. Aim the torch at the metal ring till it starts colouring, and as soon as therevs movement try and pull it of. As said, the leftover brass is pretty easy to remove as it is much softer than steel.

Back