1996 Marin Hawk Hill

hoppy58

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I've just bought this 15.5" Hawk Hill locally for £40.00...the frame is good and straight with little rust and the decals are all tidy - Tange cromoly frame (probably plain guage) with triple butted seat tube. Although an entry level model with mostly Acera x gear, it rides very nicely - really nippy and handles well.

I reckon it's 1996 model although it hasn't got the purple stem and it has alivio rapidfire/brake combined units instead of gripshift. The brakes, shifters and mechs all seem good but the chain, cassette and crank are completely worn..rear wheel's not much cop either. It has a new bottom bracket and cables, although whoever fitted the brake cables wired them the wrong way around so the left lever operates the front brake and vice versa!

I've now stripped it down completely and am in the process of re-assembling/cleaning the parts. I have a used, but good Alivio MC10 crank off ebay for £17 posted and I've ordered a new rear wheel (Acera x hub and Zac 2000 silver rim, with eyeleted stainlesss steel spokes) together with a HG40/41, 7 speed cassette/chain from Taylor wheels, Germany - very reasonable £39.00 for the lot with £7.00 postage.

I already have a matching front wheel with a dyno-hub (this is mainly going to be a commuter/shopping bike!) and I've ordered some 2.15 big apples to finish it off....will post pictures of the build as it progresses.

[IMG_5749 by hop58, on Flickr*]

[IMG_5750 by hop58, on Flickr*]

[IMG_5755 by hop58, on Flickr*]

[IMG_5754 by hop58, on Flickr*]

Nice tidy machine and bags of style for the money. I’m using something similar for my commute. It’s just more fun than my hybrid. Harder work tho...

Re:

Now built up again after a strip down, thorough clean and paint chips touched up..new cassette, chain and a (little used) second-hand alivio chainset fitted.

New rear wheel and saddle. 26 x 1.95 IRC mudmads f & r tyres.

Some old cannondale grips and Orange 55 bar ends from the parts box - A really nice ride! :D

[*IMG_5773 by hop58, on Flickr]

Back