1993 Roberts DOGSBOLX SE

Collected the frame this morning from Geoff and had a quick nose around his workshop and some of the other projects he's got on. Lots of old Roberts frames in a queue to be restored although all were road bikes. His how stuff looked pretty awesome too.

Just got back home and have got a couple of rushed photos to show for now. Will be in the work stand soon and start getting parts in and installed.

p5pb15866037.jpg

p5pb15866039.jpg

Geoff had a few interesting stories to tell including one about Aston Martin commissioning Roberts to build a DOGSBOLX for each DB7 that was sold for an extra £4000 and have the frame colour coded to match the car. I always thought this to be a rumour but is very true. There are like rocking horse shit and worth a fair bit of money now should you ever happen across one.

Re:

Lovely :cool:

I remember the Aston ones too - maybe I saw a photo in one of the mags.

Cheers

Nothing like a fresh set of clothes, looks nice :cool:

Mark

Re:

Looks great and nice to hear the stories from Geoff. Here’s the only Aston/DOGS I’ve been able to find a shot of:

Attachments

• E69BEB18-1434-42E9-BFE4-4CE6A9A3F453.jpeg
    E69BEB18-1434-42E9-BFE4-4CE6A9A3F453.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 924
Slowly getting a few parts into the frame. Headset is now installed and the fork is now a part of the bike again! Got hold of a Ritchey WCS Seatpost so I can now safely have the frame setup in a workstand. Next job is to rub down the paint on the quill end of the stem with some emery paper or cloth after from the respray so it will pop into the fork and get the handlebar attached.

p5pb15902761.jpg

After this I'll take a pause for thought and decide which way to go on gearing and then on wheels. Still tempted by modernising so I will offer up a GXP Crank into the shell and get a feel for how that is in terms of clearance, chainline, Q Factor, and go from there.

Stem quill rubbed down and popped on some wheels from the wife's bike to get a rolling chassis and get an idea of stem height for fit. Sun still out so couldn't resist getting a photo with some wheels on, even if they are crappy ones.

p5pb15927076.jpg

Still considering BB and Crank options but still considering staying modern. I'm toying between Middleburn RS8 which are softer, more curved and wouldn't look out of place on the frame or Hope Cranks which have a more industrial feel and may over power.

I'd still consider going back to period if the right set of black Cooks Cranks came along.

I now have all the parts need to get this build complete. Wheels are currently with a builder and are the only thing holding up progress as all other components are now bolted on. Hoping these will be back with me later next week and I can get this finished over the weekend.

I took the time to install some invisiframe protection by adapting a generic Road frame kit to suit. Covered now is the top tube, down tube, back of seat tube, chain stays, seat stays below the horseshoe, fork legs and a few patches where there are contact points with cable outers. It is quite an expensive product but you do get what you pay for and it is only until you get really close up that you can see the kit installed. Overall I'm really happy with the result.

Build now fully assembled and looking good.

Having some work done in the garden at the moment so will get some more photos done once complete next week. Will also put up a complete spec later on but the obvious part is the 1 x 11 set up.

p5pb16017012.jpg

Back