Modern life is rubbish! Help with hubs please...

Rotorhead

Retro Guru
I have a late 90s frame to build up, disc front and rim brake rear, and am getting some wheels made. Got some 36H Ritchey Rock Pros coming from Roly on here and I’m thinking to go for modern hubs - Hope Pro4, taking 8 speed on rear.

Question is what spec hubs do I need? Axle will be old skool standard diameter (9mm?) as will be frame/fork spacing (100/135mm?). As Pro4 rears appear to be made only for disc, can I get one that willfit 135mm spacing and ignore the disc mounting?

Any advice welcomed. Thx.

Re:

You could do as suggested but the disc mount would bother me.

You could go for some pro 3 (mono?) non disc hubs. I've got some 32h ones waiting similar use as you plan. After replacing the bearings in them they seem the same as MTB designated hubs just no disc mounts.

Get the pro 3, swap the axle to a 135mm.

In fact, Any hope none disc road hub should be pretty straight forward to swap over

Re:

I forgot to mention that if you use a road one, you'll need a different length spacer cap on the rear. They don't cost much.

Thanks for all the input. I've gone for a 135 mm QR road hub on the rear (RS4), as suggested by mattr. I had assumed that there was some intrinsic difference between road and mountain hubs but obviously not .

Up front it's a Pro 4 (100mm x 15mm with six-bolt disc fitting) and a QR conversion kit.
Just need to get some fancy skewers now to top-off the investment...

Latest posts

Back