Nokons?

Radar

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Not exactly retro but I'd like sensible answers (something you don't currently get on STW)

Nokon cables - worth the money? Pretty certainly but do they shift better than XTR (which I currently use)? How do they cope with Peak District grinding paste?

Then there is the most important question: silver or black? Black would match the lockout cable on my forks, and is ever so classic, but bike is XTR grey with grey XTR groupset (red hope hubs, red USe Tistix, red hope headset, silver middleburn cranks with grey rings, red spuider & bolts)?
Ta in advance

never used them, but like always- hear good, hear bad.
One bad was that they tend to corrode quite nicely, which surprised me as I thought they would have been anodised?
Not sure how true, stw folklore I expect.. :roll:

They rae very noisy as well , but the shifting and braking should improve .

have u tried powercortz ? more expensive , but even lighter and better .

Winter and salt cause the corrosion - but a spray and wipe with oil stops that and prevents the squeeking on my silver ones :D

I only use them for gears on one of my bikes.
I usually get about one ride from cheap cables, a year out of XTR cables, and two out of Gore-Tex (Although not on the full-sus where the flexing kills them), but my first set of Nokon's is on year four and bike three :shock:

They are as good as the solid cable runs on my other bikes, but if your frame is designed for the split cable type then they are very good.

I like them ;)

Two words: helicopter tape. Nokons are fabulous but unless your frame is protected they'll rip the sh1t out of your paintwork. If you're going all the way for smoothness then get an Avid Rollamagig for the rear mech and you'll end end with the slickest shifting on the planet.
Colour? Silver- looks very " factory. " ( as in prototype bling kit )

Aren't they like f*&£ off expensive though? and not enough in one set to do full length outers? Kinda put me off when I saw the price and price of extras :shock:

I have them running as full outers on my new 'UK specific' Seven Ti and they are fantastic (had to buy a Rohloff set to get them long enough but it was cheaper than buying two normal sets), used them as non full outers on my Fat Ti and they were tops. Silver on the Seven, Black on the Fat and I would say go with the silver for the tart potential as black can be mistaken for normal outers and whats the point in spending the money if no one knows it.......

Yes they are expensive. Better in silver, my black ones have faded(think black spokes)They creak, depends on the frame as to how bad this sounds. Shifting is good, but not as light as the old Gore system. You do get more 'feel'

Back