MacRetro chat and rides thread

gmac123":6ia6x5nb said:
the ineptitude others presents opportunities for us

scored a giant propel with dura ace the other week for a pittance, just because the shifters were jammed.. took me a full hour to fix :cool:

Was it just dried up lube? I've bought Ultegra shifters off ebay for next to nowt because they wouldn't shift, a scoosh with GT85 to soften hardened lube, worked them through their movement, repeat till they work properly, a wee bit clean, some proper lube and working as they should for the foreseeable. There's plenty info online about fixing sticky shifters but the inability of so many to get their heads round something relatively simple like this is worrying but as you say we win, they lose.

Re:

Genuine question... what's the deal with retro Shimano & Suntour mechs/shifters?
Is it like later Shimano/Sram where they generally don't like to be mixed & matched?

Re:

My '94, Explosif which I've owned from new is fitted with Suntour shifters and XT mechs and it's been the most constant and reliable set up I've ever used (all be it a bit agricultural by todays standards).

Re:

The only potential issue I could see is mixing Shimano shifters with suntour cassettes, or vice versa, due to slightly different spacing. Check out Sheldon Brown's site for the info but I'm sure it'll be fine.

epicyclo":3t8ra8x6 said:
The best way to mix and match derailleurs and shifters is in an industrial grinder. :)
There's really no need for that, if you want one of us to teach you how to set up a derailleur gear set-up properly all you have to do is ask :mrgreen:

DynaCol":2whuy8hp said:
epicyclo":2whuy8hp said:
The best way to mix and match derailleurs and shifters is in an industrial grinder. :)
There's really no need for that, if you want one of us to teach you how to set up a derailleur gear set-up properly all you have to do is ask :mrgreen:
Once I've mastered setting up a Sturmey-Archer 4 speeds with rounded off dog clutches, I should be qualified to do that. :)

old_coyote_pedaller":jb1vstly said:
gmac123":jb1vstly said:
the ineptitude others presents opportunities for us

scored a giant propel with dura ace the other week for a pittance, just because the shifters were jammed.. took me a full hour to fix :cool:

Was it just dried up lube? I've bought Ultegra shifters off ebay for next to nowt because they wouldn't shift, a scoosh with GT85 to soften hardened lube, worked them through their movement, repeat till they work properly, a wee bit clean, some proper lube and working as they should for the foreseeable. There's plenty info online about fixing sticky shifters but the inability of so many to get their heads round something relatively simple like this is worrying but as you say we win, they lose.

nope, think shimano have changed their lube as the modern shifters don't seem to get the dried out grease issue anymore, this was frayed cables restricting the ratchets to 2 or 3 movements, a right faff getting getting the cables out, but once striped, removed and lubed :LOL: all's good

p.s. canny see by SRAM for modern road shifting, the good bikes 4 years in, 8K miles on it, original cables, NEVER adjusted or tweaked a barrel adjuster since building it, shifts absolutely perfect, especially under load

Back