Depression is just plain nasty

Re: Re:

velomaniac":2wfh4miz said:
Just read this thread and glad to see the understanding shown by members of this forum. I too have depression, not serious but I have been moderately bipolar most of my life. Finally seen my GP and started taking mild antidepressants, its weird to feel happy and content most of the time, I like it.
Keep positive guys by whatever means works for you.

Glad you got some help, it is a case of whatever works for each person, but it is important to keep things out in the open for all of us :D

I'd be aware that antidepressants can make things worse. If you become aware of any personality changes go back to the doctor and have them changed. They can and have been reported as causing more problems than they solve.

Interesting thread and it's strange that some of the people I've met on here also suffer with demons too. Having had a couple of episodes earlier in my life at times of extreme stress I still take a very small dose of mirtazipine to help me sleep (it seemed that lack of sleep may have compounded my problems unsurprisingly).
Have been going through the mill a bit recently with my dad being given months to live due to a couple of genetic conditions that have caused irreparable liver damage (chirossis) and COPD it's been a tough time. I've had to get tested for the conditions and having had a partial result back it may turn out that I may also have (all be it to a lesser extent) them too.
That telegraph article and some of the results of my testing may show a correlation too so that's quite interesting. I should hopefully be able to control the progress of the liver condition by taking control of my diet (weight) and cutting out alcohol totally (not really a massive drinker anyway).
That telegraph article would also show a very strong link to the use of CBD (from medicinal marijuana) to treat depression as it has a proven anti-inflammatory effect. Could be some interesting times coming in medical research.

Carl.

Well I've cut right back on my usual coping strategy alcohol and am pounding the pedals on my new turbo trainer, well, I'm only doing a few mins twice a day at the moment but every day I'm increasing my time. I've got a lot of weight to loose and I mean a lot (all McEwans Champion) :) At my worst I have never been able to understand people telling me exercise helps with low mood and depression as I can barely get out of bed never mind exercise, but I must say since I got my trainer I've quite enjoyed the progression and the feeling of achievement, long may it continue :)

Alison

Alison":10wosfdi said:
Well I've cut right back on my usual coping strategy alcohol and am pounding the pedals on my new turbo trainer, well, I'm only doing a few mins twice a day at the moment but every day I'm increasing my time. I've got a lot of weight to loose and I mean a lot (all McEwans Champion) :) At my worst I have never been able to understand people telling me exercise helps with low mood and depression as I can barely get out of bed never mind exercise, but I must say since I got my trainer I've quite enjoyed the progression and the feeling of achievement, long may it continue :)

Alison

Excellent news :D :D :D :D :D :D keep up the good work :D :D :D :D and remember the odd McEwans won't harm ;) :D :D :D

My shadow caught up with me last week. I had a real battle getting a head again. Glad to say I’m feeling a lot better now, as the saying goes, “when your going through hell. Just keep moving”
Hope anyone who is afflicted with mental illness can get some relief.
Jeff.

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":1y5bga81 said:

Yes a friend posted this on facebook. I can say my friendship with said black dog goes up and down, we are working well together at the moment, but it's an unstable friendship and when things go wrong they go BADLY wrong :( The problem is family, my kids have been apart of things no child should be apart of, I am a physical mess because of depression, anxiety and self harm, but they have grown strong confident and loving, more than I could wish for :) My oldest is doing exceptionally well at uni after 4 years as a marine and my youngest are doing well at school too, I am proud of who they have become :)

It's a very good analogy though.

Alison

Re:

From the vid:

"when you lose all joy in life you can begin to question what the point of it is"

That is a wonderfully ambiguous statement, so let's paraphrase it two ways:

A)"when you lose all joy in life, you are placed in the terrible position of having to question what the point of it is."

B)"when you lose all joy in life, you are placed in the fortunate position of getting the chance to question what the point of it is."

I'm pretty sure that the locutor means 'A'. That is why he is so glad to get 'professional help' straight after.

He's not really comfortable with that black dog at all. He has to domesticate it and make it small.

Afaict it is 'normal' to be in denial about your existential situation. And 'normal' is a synonym for 'sane'.

The problem is family

Innit? https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/66966- ... d-they-may

Back