MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re:

Think I've just talked myself into doing the Pitfichie Local Enduro this Sunday :shock:
Any other MacRetro members fancy it? :D ;)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1528489015606-724x1024.jpg
    FB_IMG_1528489015606-724x1024.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 723
Re: Re:

Mr Panda":328rfd3i said:
£45!!!

:shock:

Aye, well the SES Enduro rounds are £60 a piece! And I think the Enduro at Comrie is £59! (Does get you into other stuff on the weekend though).

Sign of the times it seems, but after a few beers on Friday I thought I may as well enter and support some local racing :)

Re:

clubby":3qaoyeht said:
Well, how did you do?

Ok actually (surprisingly!). Provisional result of 17th out of 34 in the Senior Men.
It was a "blind" Enduro, so no practice, just rock up and ride! :)
Weather was almost ideal, overcast and misty up on the hills, with dry and dusty trails. Dust!! :shock:

Stage one was brutal, it used the SDA downhill course and was rock garden followed by rock slabs, roots, drops, and more rocks.
Stage 2 was more flowing, over moorland then into the forest, it was nice to get a breather after stage 1!
Stage 3 started on a trail I knew before heading off down a tight twisty trail with some nice dusty turns & drops.
Stage 4 was the "Devils Staircase" which I know Well, quite long and rocky Singletrack.
Stage 5 was back to the downhill track, rocks & drops aplenty. Dropped my chain and had to stop to untangle it from the crank!

I thoroughly enjoyed it :D tbh I was riding out of my comfort zone the whole time, I have no idea how I didn't crash! I'd not ridden at Pitfichie for a year, and I'd forgotten how technical and rocky it could be.
I only saw 2 other hardtail MTB's of the 130 or so riders, this was definately a course for the full-bounce bikes.

I somehow managed a respectable finish, my rear wheel paid the price on the final stage though, a large dent and a few loose spokes, should be repairable.

There's another event at Drumtochty in October, tempted to do it as it was a great atmosphere today, friendly, well organised, and cheaper than the SES.

Re:

After the weekends Enduro I thought a spare rear wheel might come in handy , found some 700c/29" Mavic XM319 wheels ftom a Boardman advertised locally for £10 .
Yes, £10 for a pair of wheels . :shock: Apparently the rear hub was broken.
Sure enough the freehub was stiff. But after flushing it through with WD40 it's back to its normal "clicky" self. Result! :mrgreen:
Never ceases to amaze me the number of people who can do something relatively complex like make a meal, but fix a puncture? :shock: rather take it to Hellfrauds, or sell the bike..... :facepalm:

£10!!! Score Jimo!
It is sad though the things that get thrown away or discarded due to something relatively easy to fix. But, their loss is your gain clearly :)

Jamie

Re:

Yup, Jamie/jimo, never give a sucker an even break. :mrgreen:

I too am amazed at how many people manage to break things or simply don't know they can be fixed all due to their lack of basic mechanical knowledge. Others see having their things repaired as somehow demeaning or a loss of status as they now own something that is no longer pristine. It's got to be new and shiney.

.....and breathe....... :oops:

Re:

It appears everything is still disposable :evil:

I thought we'd hit a turning point around 10 years ago when my kids came back from school saying we were killing polar bears every day by driving cars, creating rubbish and burning coal etc, but it seems that lesson has been quickly forgotten :facepalm:

the ineptitude others presents opportunities for us

scored a giant propel with dura ace the other week for a pittance, just because the shifters were jammed.. took me a full hour to fix :cool:

Back