Gritopia

kaiser":3mmaltav said:
What's Janet's brae again?
First climb out of peebles, by the hydro, starts gentle and gets steeper, then gets steeper and finishes with a steeper bit. Its evil.

Re:

Rebuilt my good old Raleigh White Lightnin', I think it might serve as its comparatively light, very broad geared and a classic xc MTB.
Still in fear and annoyance at the toughness of a "introduction" to gravel riding. Bit all I can do now is give it a go ;-)

Good man- love that bike!
There's every chance I'll be ducking out early and taking a shortcut home as I'm riding the enduro course on sunday too, albeit on the ebike as course sweeper..

Re:

Here is a quote from Bike Radar that amused me and slags both us old school mtb'ers and the new school Gravel bikers off with equal comedy:;

"A gravel bike is a road bike, but heavier and with slower tyres. It's narrow and steep and tall, and you can't shift your weight much, so it teaches you ancient, authentic skills such as 'desperately trying not to crash' and 'how to still crash' and 'acting superior even now you've crashed’. It's just like mountain biking used to be, before it was ruined by marketing BS! And quantifiable progress! And by, you know, physics!"

:D :D :D

Re: Re:

velomaniac":35ztvyns said:
Here is a quote from Bike Radar that amused me and slags both us old school mtb'ers and the new school Gravel bikers off with equal comedy:;

"A gravel bike is a road bike, but heavier and with slower tyres. It's narrow and steep and tall, and you can't shift your weight much, so it teaches you ancient, authentic skills such as 'desperately trying not to crash' and 'how to still crash' and 'acting superior even now you've crashed’. It's just like mountain biking used to be, before it was ruined by marketing BS! And quantifiable progress! And by, you know, physics!"

:D :D :D

Love it, still tempted by one though, if only to comply with n+1..

Re:

Finishing touches to the bike tonight, all good apart from a noisy front brake and a wee bit of gear vagueness around the middle of the cassette. Might have a look but it's not bad, I forgot the fun of setting canti's :(

Velo, I'll be treating this entirely as a jaunt, aiming to enjoy the scenery as much as the purgatory. I've a feeling you are underestimating yersell anyway and will be off and away up the hill.

Re:

Wish I was Kaiser but after the G7 crash I've got bruised ribs and a frequent painful limp of the left leg plus a bit of ankle strain for the right :(

However I intend to plod steadily at the back safe in the knowledge that many gravel bikes are no better than my late 80's xc bike if the quote I printed previously is accurate :LOL:

The climb is a barsteward but I've done it before many times so I'm sure I can do it again. See you there chief ;)

Had a wee look at the weather.... might be an idea to set of early! When are you two thinking of starting?

Back