Team Raleigh Dyna-Tech ex Adrian Timmis, thanks for helping.

sinnett177

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
Gentlemen,

I was fortunate enough to win this beauty on ebay yesterday:

bike_005_648.jpg

It's Adrian Timmis's factory bike from the early 90's. I'm looking to restore the bike back to it's former glory and so need to get it's race specification together. This is where your help is required as BITD I did'nt take as much notice of it as I should of done (it was way out of my league BITD).

What i'm after is your memories of it's spec, it's pro's and con's and as many pictures of it from BITD that you have, I can use these for reference.

I'm picking the bike up tomorrow so will post some detailed pics of it tomorrow and give the spec that it's in at present. I've also emailed Adrian Timmis to see if he can help with this (if anyone knows he will). In contacting Adrian I've also offered him the use of the bike at events such as Mountain Mayhem once it's restored, as long as he wears the old kit (I won this also!). A few double take's in the paddock I think!

I'd be grateful of any help you can offer gents, once the race spec is finalised I might have one massive wanted list also.

Nice machine, lucky you! Probably as seen on my video of the '92 BMBF series. Where's it been since?

If Adrian can't remember about the spec, I know a man who might.

Raleigh

If you dont have any luck with the emails, let me know and Ill speak to him for you. We were at Uni together doing the British cycling degree last year

Awesome win man, not only a decent era raleigh but the best you can get yeah! ...And a nice creative idea to let the chap go back down memory lane, good on ya!
Who's changed the componentry then?

Ive got a load of old video's from the early 90's and I seem to think that Dave Baker was talking about the spec of one of his machines. May not be quite the same as Adrian's though as I seem to remember Mr Baker was a real stickler for light-weight and simplicity.

Ive also got some old photo's I took, but probably wont be too much help.

I'll dig them out for you and see what I can find.

Ok so collected today from a lovely gentleman called Paul (member ‘Paulupnorth‘) in Worksop. My first impressions were how bright the paint is. I thought the main tubes were yellow, but they are bright florescent yellow/lime colour in the flesh. The bike is exactly as described on ebay. From talking to Paul and checking over the bike the following parts aren’t original:-

-Front wheel, has been entirely replaced with a Hope Ti hub and F.I.R. rim.
-Rear Rim, has been replaced with a Mavic 217 SUP rim.
-Rear Mech, has been replaced with an XT M737.
-Tyres, have been replaced with Panaracer XC Pro 1.8”.
-Rear brake blocks, replaced with Aztecs.

Paul says the original rims were Bontrager (not sure what model), the front hub was XTR M900, the rear mech would have been XTR M900 also and the tyres were Continental 1.8“ with a brown/red wall, so I’d like to confirm that before I source some.

The following parts I’m unsure of and need to confirm from photo’s etc:

-Apices headset.
-X-lite bars.
-Bar ends, manufacturer unknown.
-Sachs chain.
-XT M737 SPD’s.
-Kalloy seatpost, seems odd to have Syncros stem and not a matching post.
-XTR brake blocks.
-Flite saddle.

Anyway, got the bike home and gave it a quick once over, the bike has not been ridden much in the past years so needed a bit of fettling. Got it sorted and took it up the hill at the back of me. I have to say it impressed me, it’s a complete thoroughbred, absolutely no nonsense bike. It’s not interested in pulling wheelies and stuff, it just wants to get from point A to point B in the fastest time. The riding position is very unforgiving, flat out XC or nothing with this one, those with bad backs best stay away! It climbs extremely well also, I normally ride with slightly lower gearing but this was fine as it was and flew up what is a very steep hill. On the negative side the brakes are absolute junk, I’ll have to put some time in on these I think and the stem might be a bit long for me.

2008_1030teamraleigh0016.jpg

2008_1030teamraleigh0009.jpg

2008_1030teamraleigh0014.jpg

2008_1030teamraleigh0013.jpg

2008_1030teamraleigh0011.jpg

2008_1030teamraleigh0010.jpg

This is the present spec.

Frame: Raleigh Dyna-Tech. XMT 100 Metal Composite Titanium Tubing.

Fork: Raleigh Dyna-Tech Titanium Rigid, 1 1/8” x 6” Steerer.

Headset: Apices Tange 1 1/8” Threaded.
Stem: Syncros 0 degree 135mm 1 1/8” Quill Type.
Handlebar: X-Lite Titanium 525mm.
Grips: ODI Mushroom.
Barends: X-lite alloy with Titanium bolts.

Brakes: Shimano XTR M900 F&R.
Brake Pads: Front M900 XTR, Rear Aztec.
Brake Cables: Unknown.
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano XTR M900.
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR M900 STI.

Shifters: Shimano XTR M900 STI.
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900 Bottom Pull 28.6mm.
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M737 Short Cage.
Derailleur Cables: Unknown.
Cassette: Shimano XTR M900-8 12-28t.
Chain: Sachs
Cranks: Shimano XTR M900 175mm
Crank Bolts: Titanium (marked as ‘upgrade’) Bolt and Washer.
Chainrings: Shimano SG-X 28-38-48t.
Chainring bolts: STD Shimano.
Bottom Bracket: UN-90 68x113mm.
Pedals: Shimano XT SPD M737.

Hub Skewers: Shimano XTR M900.
Rims: Front F.I.R. M123, Rear Mavic 217 SUP.
Hubs: Front Hope Titanium Blue Anodised, Rear Shimano XTR M900.
Nipples: Unknown.
Spokes: Unknown.
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8”.
Tubes: Unknown.

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium (original with red lettering).
Seatpost: Very worn can read Kalloy and possibly 26.8mm?
Seatpost Binder: Titanium sliding boss which slides over seat tube. Complete with titanium bolt.

Weight: Very light.

I will be looking to swap/ sell the non standard parts at a later date for the genuine articles. I think i'll ride the bike pretty much as is until Christmas before starting the restoration. I'd be a bit miffed if the tyres are Continental's as I sold one NOS earlier in the year. I think the frame will require a full respray and i'll look into getting this done at argos or a local place (not sure if any special primer etc needs to be used on Titanium?). The graphics are basically stickers so i'm hoping to just peel these off with a hair dryer and send to Gil_m for copying. Many of the XTR logo's have rubbed off so might also ask Gil to make some reverse stickers and spray the XTR back on.

So gents there we have it, thanks for your help so far. I'd much appreciate it if you post your pictures and confirm/question the parts on the spec sheet. Thanks again.

Back