1995 Kona Cinder Cone - one of last weeks finds

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hey guys, this was one of my finds earlier in the week and with it still be storming it seemed a perfect time to strip her down and check her over.

Plans are to build close to catalogue as possible with a couple of changes due to parts availability from what I have/can get hold of.
Tyres will be Blackwall Onza Porcs
Pedals will be Onza clipless
The grips on the SRT600 gripshift are dead and I found some uncracked XRAY’s for a good price to replace the whole units.
The riser bars she came with will be replaced with silver Ritchey Force Lites.

Everything seems in good order under the crud.

Anyway here are some pics:

As it’s raining again I thought I’d use my time wisely to rebuild in the dry, unfortunately the frame and wheels are too big to clean in the kitchen sink so I had to get wet anyway :(

I think the previous owner must have lived in the middle ring, Jaws would be happy with those teeth ;) No spare 32toith 94bcd rings in my box so I’ve sourced a SUGINO one from the bay.

Polishing this morning, rebuild later.

I’d like to keep the it close to original but I’m not sure on the shifters, as stated the original SRT600 grips were dead so I’ve purchased some X-RAYS, I already have some nice Shimano 3x8 shifters sitting here doing nothing. Which would you fit?

Here are some pics once polished, lovely paint combo in my opinion :)

Shimano 3x8 for me. I don't like grip shifts. Make me think of kid's bikes. Just my association. Did a grifter have gripshift? that could be why if so.

EDIT: googled it. yep. that would be it then.

She’s rolling again and I think I have chosen Shimano shifte S and ateti grips over the gripshift idea.

New chain on, just the gear cables to install, a front straddle cable to buy and the middle ring to swap out once it arrives in the post :)

Re:

Great job :cool:
I have a really rough one of those but it just rides great , i did start off with gripshift but but soon binned it and went back to Shimano .

Pretty much what i have done every time i have ever used it over the past 25 years :LOL:

Paul

Latest posts

Back