So is it 26 or 27.5"

I think its about frame and fork design- regardless of wheel size. I have 26" bikes some short travel which feel like I am "on top of the bike" and others that feel like I am inside the bike.

Also the main issue I need to deal with in my old age is rotational resistance, that means the lightest rims/tires/spokes - then everything else that I am using power to rotate, this is what is stopping me from getting the heavier rims and tires of 29". I even saw a new speccy in my LBS with 3.4" tires on 29" rims, with battery assist maybe - but can you imagine doing a 40 killer loop on that tank?

Any one fancy a uphill 26 vs 29 race?

Re:

You'll only be able to compare if it's the same bike and switch the wheels.

Then you'll see if it's wheel size.
at least for that frame and track.

fotorat1":1y69vhbt said:
I think its about frame and fork design- regardless of wheel size. I have 26" bikes some short travel which feel like I am "on top of the bike" and others that feel like I am inside the bike.

Also the main issue I need to deal with in my old age is rotational resistance, that means the lightest rims/tires/spokes - then everything else that I am using power to rotate, this is what is stopping me from getting the heavier rims and tires of 29". I even saw a new speccy in my LBS with 3.4" tires on 29" rims, with battery assist maybe - but can you imagine doing a 40 killer loop on that tank?

From my experience 29 is miles easier up hill, off road, regardless of weight as they roll over obstacles so much better. I used to get bogged down with roots, eroded trails and the like but no more. Try it.

Yeah, it's a bit counter intuitive to think a heavier bike, with bigger heavier wheels will climb much faster. After all, the conventional wisdom for years was to upgrade to lighter wheels and tyres... now it seems weight doesn't matter very much as long as you have the right size.

Re:

Yeah, it’s weird but so many aspects we never used to consider make a huge difference. Ultimately the lighter the better when comparing like for like but not when comparing different sizes.

fotorat1":2fnpyvct said:
The specifics of wheel weight are pretty much a non-event compared to the all up weight of the bike, as generally you aren't accelerating the wheels enough to make a difference. Unless you repeatedly go from stationary to significant speed. (0 to 20+ KPH maybe.). THen you have the fact that it's easier to keep a 29er moving due to the better roll over. Anecdotally, a climb near me which has always been a hoppy, bumpy grind, for the first time was relatively easy to clear on the new 29er. Rather than stopping and hefting my very light 26 HT (under 19lbs) up each step and bump i just rode up (25lb 29 FS).

fotorat1":2fnpyvct said:
Unless its very smooth or *very* technical. i.e. all but undrideable/trials, the 29er will be faster, even with a weight penalty.

Has anyone here ever tested a 29+ uphill? 29+ is pretty much a 31er and it would be interesting to know whether the extra rolling resistance of the fat tyres or the better roll-over of the large wheels wins out. I guess if 29+ was faster than regular 29, we'd see some pro racers going with 29+ ...

Re:

Always find these threads fascinating considerng the power source, us, only generates around 1/4hp. Loosing weight and getting properly fit generates a much greater potential gain than increasing wheel radius. People are already raving about 36ers.

Re: Re:

M-Power":171r17ys said:
Always find these threads fascinating considerng the power source, us, only generates around 1/4hp. Loosing weight and getting properly fit generates a much greater potential gain than increasing wheel radius. People are already raving about 36ers.

Funnily enough, I have a 36er frame now. Well, on its way from Waltworks in USA. Looking forward to getting it built and tested!

Re: Re:

M-Power":3ru6mqb6 said:
Always find these threads fascinating considerng the power source, us, only generates around 1/4hp. Loosing weight and getting properly fit generates a much greater potential gain than increasing wheel radius.

Couldn't agree more. The rider is more important than the bike. Hence i'm keeping my 26er.

Back