Bike magazines why so poor

cloonaghpat

Retro Guru
I have subscribed to various cycling magazines over the years loved winning and cycle sport especially the early ones
When cycle sport finished I started buying pro cycling on and off
Sometimes there are good retro articles but to me it has too many pro cyclists posing in team tracksuits explaining why last year didn’t work out as planned

The classics issue took the biscuit I travelled to France this year for Paris roubaix and just wanted a bike magazine that recorded the race and had some decent photos of the racing - no chance one photo of Sagan winning and that was it I still have my Winning magazines from 1991/92 and to see the difference in coverage and how much better it was back then is incredible Suffice to say I left the magazine back on the shelf

Today I picked up Cyclist magazine I have to say if one magazine has the potential to become a must read this is it 8 pages on the history of bianchi bikes and a great article on the flandria jersey if it could improve its coverage of the racing and give us some decent photos of the riders in action ( and not staring wistfully at a sunset/out to sea in their tracksuits) I think they could be the magazine to buy

Magazines everywhere have been destroyed by internet advertising. Less ad money means less journalist time, little travel, fewer pro photos bought, more re-processed PR, etc. The risk is a death spiral.

Yep, also your lucky there are still mags in print at all, the internets has taken over.
I still prefer to buy an actual magazine, but they are mostly so crappy these days it's not worth it. Quite probably the best mag (roadie) of all time, Ride, recently went online only, much to the dismay of pretty much everyone who subscribed.

Re:

It is such a pity, I have kept all my winning and cycle sport magazines, they are excellent for reference when I pick a particular road bike I want to restore and you are right the photography is gone downhill (pardon the pun) as well. Most of the shots I see are at the finish line, or the tracksuit shot, I must check out to see where Graham Watson is contributing to. I have brothers-in-laws who are just getting into cycling, anytime they call over, I pull out an old cycling magazine , here read this, look at the photos, "flick through it" much nicer than sending them a link!!!

and don't throw out your cycling magazines, the old good ones anyway!!

Pat

Back