Calling dibs vs fair play

guy80000

Dirt Disciple
Sorry for the whinge folks i just need to get this off my chest,
Yesterday a gt sts came up for sale, I was the first to post to ask if postage was available but then had to go out for a few hours, the seller replied to say yes but they would just need to find a box to send it, in the mean time I went out but when I got back i checked the listing and another user had called dibs on it even though there were enquiries from other retrobikers, the seller had messaged me to say someone else was going to see it and and went on to buy it this morning even though I enquired first. To be fair I told the seller I had to wait till my gf was back from work to confirm I could definately buy the bike but I was given the green light by her only to be told the bike had sold this morning. I am a little miffed I wasnt given the chance seeing how I was the first to post a reply and show interest. Does calling dibs after someone has shown interest automatically give them proirity or am i just a sore loser. Sorry if im out of order i just feel it was a little unsportsman like as a quick sale was not stated in the listing.
Enjoy your sunny sunday
Guy

Re:

I think you need to get out and ride your bike.
Having sold many items on here & elsewhere over the years and been cocked about countless times by buyers/interested members/members calling Dibs etc i now sell to whoever pays first, regardless of who messaged or who called Dibs first.
There'll be other STS's to buy, just keep a lookout and you'll find one.

Re:

I know sorry, its a bike ive drooled over for years but always been out of my price range but at £300 it was achieveable and I doubt I'll see one again at that price

I always go with the dibs thread post timings unless someone pms before the first dibs then that's a dibs although it's not a dibs but a pm that counts as a non thread dibs dibs.

Simple.

So if you pm and there's an earlier dibs the dibs has it but not if it's just a postal enquiries without firm dibs or sale commitment.

Re:

Take this in the spirit it’s meant (friendly) but I’ve never been on a forum where “dibs” has been used like this forum.

If something is for sale and a few interested parties are asking questions then it’s the first to say “Yes I’ll buy it”. Then it’s sold pending payment within a fair time. If hey don’t pay or respond then it’s back for sale.

In this day you can make payment from anywhere in the world within a few moments so no excuses really.

To ask the OP a question. Let’s say your girlfriend had got home and said no. Which meant you couldn’t buy it I assume? then the seller has turned people away. U wanted the item put on hold simply because you asked a question ?

Wow sorry I've hit a nerve obviously, I'll delete my account and slip away into the wilderness, it's been a pleasure folks

Re:

No nerve hit. You asked a question. I gave a friendly response from what I class as a sold item. No mallard intended at all.

No need to leave a forum you use because of some strangers opinion.

Re:

This has happened to me before, just need to say 'ah bollocks' to yourself and keep on looking or buy something else randomly in a temper and then wonder why a postman turns up at your door on a random day during the week.

But it's really up to the seller, if some mate or someone local that could come pick it up wanted it, there would be a good chance most would go with that. It's just easier.

There are some that will dib and wait on that dib if you post only.
Some that don't mind PM's as well.
Each seller to their own I guess.

Back