93 OCLV weightweenie Project *Latest weigh-in pg. 22*

Re: 93 OCLV weightweenie Project *FINISHED! 19.64lb!*

I remember stripping all the steel bolts from my gt and refitting ali ones back in the day many moons ago

My gt still weighed about 10lb more than yours!

Lovely build. I had a 9800 in black back in 93. Fantastic ride but I found they had a tendency to crack on the drive side chainstays. Went through 3 frames in under a year before swapping to a GT Psyclone instead.

Cheers guys! the OCLV was always one of my dream bikes :)

Currently trying to stay under 20lb with a set of maguras :)

Re: 93 OCLV weightweenie Project

Time for a very serious confession.

I've never ridden this bike. :facepalm:

Well, almost. After finishing it a few days before teh first Iconoclassic, i did ride it, once, for a VERY short ride. I'd never really fully set it up ready to ride, but I was totally NOT prepared for just how awful the brakes were. The MRC cantilevers were a bitch to set up, and the levers were shockingly flexible. I guess none of that should be a surprise, as these are super-lightweight parts, but the lack of any stopping ability was horrific. I can set up canti's for power, but not these.

So, I very quickly picked up a set of NOS kooka Levers, while the MRC D-cells and the Teclite levers were sold. I had the rest of the brake parts I needed lying around.

The NOS-ness of the levers was never in question - they're immaculate. What was less than expected was one of the bolts stripping completely the moment I undid them. I suspect that in 20 years, the stainless and the Alu reacted, and the teeny-weenie threads gave up.

I sulked for 5 years.

The bike literally hung in the garage all that time. I'd lost the Mojo for it, and more than a few times, nearly stripped it for parts. Whilst figuring out what to ride at mountain mayhem, it occurred to me that I had an essentially 'new' race bike sat forlorn and dusty in the garage.

Pics at the weekend.

She's going to Mayhem.

Re: 93 OCLV weightweenie Project

My_Teenage_Self":3ljlwbp6 said:
Time for a very serious confession.

I've never ridden this bike. :facepalm:

Well, almost. After finishing it a few days before teh first Iconoclassic, i did ride it, once, for a VERY short ride. I'd never really fully set it up ready to ride, but I was totally NOT prepared for just how awful the brakes were. The MRC cantilevers were a bitch to set up, and the levers were shockingly flexible. I guess none of that should be a surprise, as these are super-lightweight parts, but the lack of any stopping ability was horrific. I can set up canti's for power, but not these.

So, I very quickly picked up a set of NOS kooka Levers, while the MRC D-cells and the Teclite levers were sold. I had the rest of the brake parts I needed lying around.

The NOS-ness of the levers was never in question - they're immaculate. What was less than expected was one of the bolts stripping completely the moment I undid them. I suspect that in 20 years, the stainless and the Alu reacted, and the teeny-weenie threads gave up.

I sulked for 5 years.

The bike literally hung in the garage all that time. I'd lost the Mojo for it, and more than a few times, nearly stripped it for parts. Whilst figuring out what to ride at mountain mayhem, it occurred to me that I had an essentially 'new' race bike sat forlorn and dusty in the garage.

Pics at the weekend.

She's going to Mayhem.

Whoo Hoo, :LOL: will be a very nice addition to the usual line up of Retro

can’t believe where the past five years have gone ?

Re: 93 OCLV weightweenie Project *April 2019 Update*

These are the reason for me sulking for 5 years;

B. E. A. Utiful.

But the m4 grub screw (for bleeding) stripped, and I couldn't figure out how to fix. There's not enough meat around the grub screw for a helicoil, nor upping to m5.

Fortunately, they weren't tapped too deeply, and last weekend, I finally built up the courage to drill them a bit deeper and extend the thread further into the lever body. It worked!

The bike now stops as it should. Damn, I love maguras :)

So, Knowing (from my last ride 5 years ago) that the derailleur hanger was squiffy, This morning I took a ride down to my Friendly local bike emporium. Jons Bike repair http://www.jonsbikerepair.co.uk/

Jon is a top bloke (take an offering of Jaffa Cakes!) Who tweaked the derailleur hanger back in a matter of seconds.

Now, bearing in mind that this is a weight weenie project, and My original aims were;
- sub 20lb
- front suspension
- 24 speed
- period correct
- no drillium/shonky parts (parts most people would happily ride)

Maguras were never part of the equation...

So I'm pretty happy with 1% over my aim, WITH maguras!!

Proof;

Sadly, what I put down to the hanger, has turned out to be a worn cassette, so I'm back on the hunt for either another Tioga/SRP cassette, or a tidy 737/m900 cassette, as the weight difference is practically nothing.

Back