1997 Kona Kapu - sourced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1997 Kona Kapu

Also....Ive seen at least 7 red Kona kapu, 1995, here in Denmark.... and had my hands om 4 of Them
So think there was a few of Them sold here

Only seen 1 1996 here...The Black/Gray. And really want one. So Leads Will be appriciated...(in europe)

No 1997, 1998 spotted. Ever

Re: Re:

fritzlite":270df8x7 said:
Hallo again Alistair... Yes inded..i sold a kapu to a Guy in Denmark a While Back he then cut of the gear studs...and later sold it to you. As i recall
Im now Selling another Kapu.. same size...but for a friend.
I replyed to your email...check your inbox
Not to keen om shipping full bike....but maybe frame and fork....stem, but have to check with my Friend
Also...2 small dents in the toptube....and frame in used condition

What happened to the one you had?

Hej Peter - happy to see that it's you with the Kapu! I've just seen your email and PM - I finished work late last night and then straight into spaghetti and red wine.
I can live with dents and I'd fit a newer Campagnolo groupset, so completely happy to discuss buying the frame, fork and beautiful Velocity stem.

The frame I had was one size smaller than you have now. I loved the bike (and consider it one of the best riding steel frames I have owned) but ... too small is too small, and I never loved the pain I used to get the back of my neck :( The frame went to a good owner / Retrobiker but I have terrible regret about selling it.

fritzlite":270df8x7 said:
Also....Ive seen at least 7 red Kona kapu, 1995, here in Denmark.... and had my hands om 4 of Them
So think there was a few of Them sold here
Only seen 1 1996 here...The Black/Gray. And really want one. So Leads Will be appriciated...(in europe)
No 1997, 1998 spotted. Ever

Is this Kapu I should never have sold the 1996 bike you're looking for? (I've never heard of a black Kapu...)
Selling this one was an awful mistake, it was the correct size for me and buying it from the US was expensive at the time. My reason for not wanting it? - it didn't have the same beautiful fluted seat tube the '95 has. Seems a ridiculous reason for parting with such a rare frame now.

Last year another Denmark-based '95 Kapu was advertised on dba, turned out the owner was Tom / Knickering from this forum. The Kapu was also my size and looked like it had barely been ridden. Unfortunately it got sold locally ... did you buy that Kapu too?

fritzlite":3jtfcwca said:
Hallo again Alistair... Yes inded..i sold a kapu to a Guy in Denmark a While Back he then cut of the gear studs...and later sold it to you. As i recall
Im now Selling another Kapu.. same size...but for a friend.

I replyed to your email...check your inbox

Not to keen om shipping full bike....but maybe frame and fork....stem, but have to check with my Friend
Also...2 small dents in the toptube....and frame in used condition

What happened to the one you had?

??? Not sure what you mean here, I never bought a Kapu from Denmark :LOL: My Kapu came from Canada. I'll PM you.

Still on the look out for the 97!

So far I've owned Kona Kapus from 1995, 1996 and 2008.
Currently own a 2015 ... and now another 1995, my most-loved frame of all time, thanks to Mr Fritzlite.

Just arrived this afternoon - frame looks to be in good order but has seen over 20yrs of action, so I will be re-painting it.

Remember in Robocop when there's a brief argument about saving Murphy's original arm or replace it with a new Robocop arm, and they agree that Murphy is now their property so they can do what they want with him? That's kind of how I feel now about keeping the original red colour and silver graphics vs doing it in a different set of colours from a different Kona from the same era.

Re:

I think you can guess my feelings on resprays...especially on the rarer items.

So I tell myself, it's not my bike so why should I care? :LOL:

<don't respray>

<the decals are never as good>

al-onestare":2w4emop4 said:
I think you can guess my feelings on resprays...especially on the rarer items.

So I tell myself, it's not my bike so why should I care? :LOL:

<don't respray>

<the decals are never as good>

Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you. I've been through many re-sprays and ruined some bikes. With my last '95 frame I got fixated on putting '98 graphics on it, even though the last thing that particular frame needed was a respray. It looked good when it was done but I was full of regret afterwards.

In this instance the frame has been used as a beater and is too dinged-up for me. On the other hand I won't use cheapie vinyl decals - H Lloyd ones will be the same as the originals.

Super thrilled it worked out, and the Kapu went to a good home
i think a respray in this instance, is in order....a "conservative" one... hrm.. especially if the dings are sorted...
looking forward to pics off progress
and..will be watcing for kapu`s here i DK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back