Zaskar Identification Algorithm

So getting more complicated on the guess work. Looking at the groupset on mine and comparing to the shimano catalogues. The DX stuff is all from the last year of that line in 1993 by the looks of it. Yet the frame serial number indicates 03/1996. Guess the original owner must have purchased the frame as an upgrade and added the fork. The Specilaized stem/saddle was from the most recent owner I believe, not the original, but may well have been.

With that said, might be best to try slowly return it all to 1996 XT stock. Although this DX stuff is in good shape and working well so seems a shame. In a way it's nice to try preserve a little of the actual history of the person who brought it to life back in the day.

Group set looks mostly like this;
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... X.jpg.html

Thats the thing, when you don't know the history, you don't know the history. It could be that the original owner had a bike, then upgraded the frame to a zaskar, swapping components over. Or It could be that the owner bought a complete bike, LE with all XTR maybe, then at some point upgraded to a new frame and striped eveything off the zaskar for the new frame and then at another time re built it with parts off another bike so it was ridable/could on sell... you'll never know for sure.
All that matters is you have the serial number and it's a zaskar, there's no difference between an LE and non LE for a 96 in the frame (that came later) and they could both be frame or built bike the difference was the parts build (XTR vs XT)
I'd say ride it and enjoy it then upgrade/replace bits as you go...or strip and rebuild with the original XTR 95x etc

right here i do have a zaskar frame without serial number. the frame has all details from 1996.
just found the letters "HR4" underneath the bb. hey crowd intelligence, any idea what that stands for???
is there another zaskar with these letters? thx

Attachments

• hr4.jpg
    hr4.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 484
ceo":ccayqy88 said:
right here i do have a zaskar frame without serial number. the frame has all details from 1996.
just found the letters "HR4" underneath the bb. hey crowd intelligence, any idea what that stands for???

HR4 is Hereford well just out side the city centre going north west

Perhaps then bizzies didn’t finish the job when stamping the full post code on

ceo":2ovx6jwz said:

photo of the serial number?

gm1230126":34v33c6q said:
ceo":34v33c6q said:

photo of the serial number?
there's none, just "6061".

Back