Raleigh Banana - Bottom Bracket Options

ThePowster

Old School Hero
Afternoon peeps :)

OK so I got my Banana back from the powder coaters, £60 for banana yellow, not bad at all.

I have decals coming tomorrow then I can mask them on, decide where I want them and then get it off to paint the other half black, apply decals and then am on my way.

So, first part I am going to want is bottom bracket, which one should I get?

This is where my head hurts and I get confused and fed up so I could do with some pukka advice.

The bike had a square tapered bottom bracket thing, so do I replace that for a new one? But the thing is, I have seen some Banana's with an outer bottom bracket.

Ideally I would like something as light as possible and the sealed bearing bottom brackets must weigh a ton but then you have durability.

As you can see I haven't got a clue what I am doing :LOL: or which way to turn :oops:

So.. can someone please advise me, what are my options when it comes to rebuilding this Banana, I think I am going to go old skool and a bit of new stuff as I want to be able to ride this regular and with weight being a consideration so I go new bottom bracket, if so which one, what are my crank options, what size do I want, my original looks in great condition, do I get a compact or stick with what I have, so many questions, so little knowledge lol.

Any advice (and links) would really help and be much appreciated, ideally I would like to know a) what my options are and b) what you would do at this stage and I can take it from there.

Thanks a bunch.

Matt :cool:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 625
A nice silver polished modern Campagnolo Athena Gruppo could be a nice modern option

Choose your crank and that will determine the bottom bracket you require. Good luck getting the old one out, seeming as it appears to been powdercoated over... :shock:

Re:

Thanks again guys. I'll decide on what crank I want to run then.

I left the bottom bracket cups in to protect the threads when the frame was shot blasted and I packed it inside, the cups came off easy as I scored around the powder coat.

I'll give this a light sand off and it a going for black paint next so should cover any would be problems.

legrandefromage":2cpeqg6h said:
Midlife":2cpeqg6h said:
I thought the dropouts looked stamped..... I wonder where in the pecking order it came?

Very very low unfortunately.

There are 531c versions though,.

And a handful of gold plated 531c versions :)

Latest posts

Back