Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Iwasgoodonce":19cihpl2 said:
I reckon you are right Heathy. Will need you to help with photographs and measurements for gil.

No probs mate, just let me know when you need them ;)

Sahara Elite

hello everyone, congrats on the site.

I've just bought a black Sahara on an ebay whim, sight unseen for 20 quid and change. I think it's been sitting in a garden shed for several years; paintwork is pretty poor in places and there's more surface rust than I'd have hoped for. Downtube in particular bears the scars of a crudcatcher or similar. There's an unsightly dent in the top tube as well (maybe 20 x 5 x 3mm deep).

Saddle & seatpost are both very scruffy, but came out without complaint. Most of the kit seems pretty original or fair-to-middling quality, even if cosmetically challenged: BIOPACE / Exage 400LX, Deore thumb shifters & canti brakes w/ Richey Logic levers etc. Wheels are original and in good nick; front tyre is a nice old Tioga which may scrub up well.

A couple of questions :
Can anyone date it accurately (I'm thinking circa 1991 - the missus has a similarly-equipped Rock Hopper of that vintage); and where did the 'Sahara Elite' fit within the range?

Also... What should I do with it now? My plan was to just add a pannier rack & skinny semi-slicks and use it as my winter commuter (less than 5 tarmac miles a day). However, now I have it, I'm tempted to strip/powdercoat/restore -- so what do you think, worth the effort to save it from the street salt?

{ pic to follow... }

Re: Sahara Elite

sahara01.JPG

Hello and welcome to the site and of course to Saracen Lovers anonymous :LOL:

Looks in very good codition, I would keep it / restore especially if you can keep the original paint and decals. But its your choice.

Front tyre looks an FJ Nephew !

Nice to see another Saracen

The Sahara Elite had Saracens own elastomer suspension fork which mine had originally in 1993.

Attachments

• ABCD0003.JPG
    ABCD0003.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 3,222
Here`s a picture of my 19.5" Kili Racer 1992................am trying to sell it but can`t get the interest :( :?:

Attachments

• Kili 001.jpg
    Kili 001.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 3,459
Marmite King":6dbieyxo said:
Here`s a picture of my 19.5" Kili Racer 1992................am trying to sell it but can`t get the interest :( :?:

Nice...!

D'you know, I wasn't sure when I started this thread. I thought people might have been embarrassed to admit their love, but it seems I was right, there ARE a lot of us out there!

Here's yer catalog scan.

Attachments

• Saracen4.jpg
    Saracen4.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 3,523
  • Saracen3.jpg
    Saracen3.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 3,522
  • Saracen2.jpg
    Saracen2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 3,523
  • Saracen1.jpg