1994 Kona Explosif

ThomasElliott

Old School Hero
Ran into this one on a local sales site, and despite being in project overload I couldn't resist it at a cheap price. Sadly it turned out that the seatpost was stuck, but since it's at a decent height for me anyway and the sunk cost bias of having been in a blisteringly hot car for 40 minutes, I haggled the price down a bit more and bought it anyway... It is of course an 1994 Kona Explosif, 18". The original thumbshifters and bars have been replaced, the grips have pretty much turned into a rubbery goo, the hubs have been replaced (I think) with modern Parallax ones while the original Mavic rims are in great condition, and obviously someone at some point put a (still working) Specialized suspension fork on it. Everything else seems to be original apart from the tyres and Wellgo pedals, and apart from some surface rust on cables and screws everything runs and moves smoothly. The whole bike really is incredibly light!

IMG_20180508_164140.jpg

IMG_20180508_164207.jpg

IMG_20180508_164223.jpg

IMG_20180508_164242.jpg

IMG_20180508_164122.jpg

IMG_20180508_164153.jpg

Checklist:
*Clean frame, derailleurs, and rusty screws
*Replace Specialized suspension fork with gray, period correct rigid Kona P2s
*New thumb shifters
*New grips and pedals
*New modern, discrete V-brakes and brake cables
*Replace Bontrager bar with a Kona Racelight one
*New tires (although I'm warming more and more to the green Wildgrippers)
*Getting the seat post unstuck (suggestions appreciated!)

That looks in good condition, very nice.

And '94 XT did switch to Parallax hubs ;)

➡️ mark

hi, good chase !!
its totaly original in most of specs except shifters, tyres and forks. wheels also, seems to have been changed for black one...
bonty titanium bar is also an original specs.

cheers

great score - pitty about the stuck seatpost - at RB there are a lot of diff. solutions suggested - from brutal force, to plusgas, caustic soda or cutting the post - if the height suit you I would keep it as it is - the O-Beam post is also OE spec.

btw. is that the fluted downtubed version ?

Thanks for all the comments and advice! I'd never have guessed that the Bontrager bars were original, but that means they stay on. Seatpost is still stuck despite some halfhearted attempts with WD-40 and brute force, although I'm a bit wary of going all out on in after having wrecked the top tube on a different bike in a similar situation. Will give it a few more tries though.

Thumbshifters and P2 forks are on the way, will start working on the bike properly when they get here.

magas":dc77k0c3 said:
great score - pitty about the stuck seatpost - at RB there are a lot of diff. solutions suggested - from brutal force, to plusgas, caustic soda or cutting the post - if the height suit you I would keep it as it is - the O-Beam post is also OE spec.

btw. is that the fluted downtubed version ?

I honestly have no idea about the fluted downtube, how do I tell?

ThomasElliott":2l8gb0u7 said:
I honestly have no idea about the fluted downtube, how do I tell?

The downtube on '93 and earlier '94 Explosifs was Ultrastrong tube and has ribs running down its length. It looks like yours is a later '94 without the ribs. Also you wouldnt have to ask if it did, as its a pretty obvious feature ;)

Im sure someone will post a pic of one, or just google it :)

➡️ mark

Super cool!

Here's what you do...

buy two cans of compressed air spray for cleaning computers.

turn bike upside down.

remove water bottle screw from seat tube and insert straw from spray can.

turn can upside down and press trigger while directing freezing liquid spray towards seatpost. Can must be upside down to spray out the freezing liquid.

do not get on your skin, its cold enough to burn you.

empty contents of can.

you will see the frame freezing up nicely.

wait a minute

step on seat and grab frame

now rotate frame while holding seat against floor with your feet.

you should hear a snap or it may just start to move.

if not then try again with the other can.

please do not put a pipe wrench or any vise on the frame or post!! please please

Let us know how it worked.

you're welcome ;)

edit:

maybe switch out the seat for a crappy one as i see that's a very nice titanium race light version.

Back