Fife and Tayside rides thread

Re:

Pretty good Jim. My reflections after a couple of days... Really well organised - Great wee event village at the Eden Theatre, pick up your number/tag day before, rolling start on the day, closed roads (almost worth the entry price alone), 3 well stocked feed stops, free Harry Gow donut thing and slurp of beer at the end. For having over 4,500 folk riding, it didn't feel all that crowded.

The ride itself was pretty straightforward - one bastard of a climb half-way round (5.3 miles averaging 4%, although you get a break part way through when you lose a few hundred feet). Kept myself well fuelled, didn't go hell for leather at the start or for the climb, and still had a bit left in the tank at the end.

Weather was fantastic. Sunny, next to no wind. Early start (6.30), so it was only a couple of degrees above freezing when we set off. I'd imagine if it was blowing a hooly and/or pishing down, it would be a slog of epic proportions - you're either loch-side or on exposed moor land, so there's no natural shelter. I'd never been up the right-hand side of the Loch, so that was pretty cool.

First Etape and would do one again. Absolutely amazed at the amount of folk that got out of their beds on a Sunday morning to cheer on several thousand random strangers on bikes.

Re:

Cool. A work mate did it last year, being on closed roads is a big bonus I guess.
Maybe consider it for next year.

Re:

I'd like to try that one, although lots of training needed.

When I did the Caledonia a while back it was blowing a hoolie and pishing down for the first half right around Rannoch, it dried up for the climb but the wind was behind us for that, it was nowhere near as bad as I'd thought it would be.
The hill down was very hairy with the crosswinds and at the bottom when we turned into Fortingal the wind gusted so strong that a few of us stopped dead for a second, I was only managing 3 or 4 miles an hour on the flat at that point.
Once we got out to Loch Tay the sun came out and with a 25mph wind behind us the section to Logerrait was amazing. The Logerrait climb is a bitch, even though it is short, it caught a few out. The last slow climb felt really tough and endless bends and summits, but the feeling of climbing to the finish is amazing with the crowds cheering everyone on. I'd recommend that one to anyone, the camaraderie and support was fantastic.

I'm guessing Loch Ness would be the same.

Unfortunately we are a man down for next few weeks as OCP is out of action for a wee op......probably going for a haircut we reckon.

So to take advantage of this we thought about doing some more hills so thinking doing the lomonds from Kinross high school carpark again. Decent climbs and some nice descents if the weather stays dry.

Prob be a 10am start at carpark in Kinross high school.

Re:

68.gif

Ah'll be baack........

keithyr":13zhbjd7 said:
Unfortunately we are a man down for next few weeks as OCP is out of action for a wee op......probably going for a haircut we reckon.

So to take advantage of this we thought about doing some more hills so thinking doing the lomonds from Kinross high school carpark again. Decent climbs and some nice descents if the weather stays dry.

Prob be a 10am start at carpark in Kinross high school.

You guys still going tomorrow?

Re:

Yep planning on it mate. Meeting at 10.30am Kinross high school carpark.

This would be the ride that we binned the last time you were there due to the wind. It’s a decent ride and a different way up into the lomonds.

Latest posts

Back