Mystery Kona

MrsGrandy

Retro Newbie
Hi all
I’ve had this mystery Kona in my garage for ages, given to me by an ex boyfriend about 20 years ago (wow that makes me feel really old now!). Can anyone help me identify it? The decals on the cross bar are so old I can’t make out the name. Having looked through old catalogues I’m guessing it’s about 1992, it’s got Joe Murray stickers on the Project Two forks but other than that I have no clues. Attaching photos, help much appreciated, just deciding what to do with it as my sentimental attachment is saying keep it while my brain says sell it for someone to restore and enjoy, you have way too many bikes!

Thanks, Liv

Attachments

• IMG_9831.jpg
    IMG_9831.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_9828.jpg
    IMG_9828.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_9827.jpg
    IMG_9827.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 640
If the decals are correct it should be a Kilauea, which is usually in the top range of Kona's steel bikes. Iv'e never seen one with a blue Project 2 fork before though.

Re:

Just searched for a 1992 Kona Kilauea catalogue pic but couldn't find one. Plenty of Google pics that match that as a '92 Kilauea though.

If anyone is interested in a little project, it’s a 20” frame and I’m open to offers. We’re near Portsmouth.

Thanks, Liv

ThomasElliott":39pddle0 said:
If the decals are correct it should be a Kilauea, which is usually in the top range of Kona's steel bikes. Iv'e never seen one with a blue Project 2 fork before though.

Standard colour for this, the first Kilauea model. Same frameset as the Cinder Cone in 92, it was only after that it was upgraded with higher spec tubing.

Re:

I’m not really sure where to start if I do sell it! It’s tired and the chain set is fairly clunky but I think the frame itself is in pretty good condition. Should I just post it on the selling page on here or resort to good old eBay? Any suggestions as to how much it’s worth?

£50 posted to my door. Not worth a penny more :LOL: I'll give you amazing feedback too

Alison

Back