Your views, please

Re:

I'm in that unlucky group where not only do i work shift work that uses up 50% of my weekends, i also have 2 young children and my wife also works full time! So as much as i would love to go on an organised retro ride to check out new trails, chat to fellow bikers about our love of all things 2 wheeled and visit a nice pub along the way :LOL: I just cant find the time!

Unless anyone wants to do a weekday ride round the new forest, then im in!!

Re: Re:

tim75":1ebwn0za said:
M-Power":1ebwn0za said:
Agree with most of the comments above. Im the wrong side for access to the SDW but miss riding there after 20yrs....badly. Im not fit but working on it after a bad health scare earlier this year. Id like to hook up for a ride that starts/stops near a mainline train station ( Petersfield ? ) which saves me having to spend 6hrs stuck in M25 traffic.

Im in it for the camaraderie, checking out other retro bikes, scenery is important too. Only been on one Gates ride but nobody was abandoned and it was a great day out.

I could certainly organise something to start from near Petersfield. I've done a few that start from Havant which is on the same line just a couple of stops further for you.
Anyone know how long a train takes from Waterloo to Petersfield these days ? Cant remember. Trying to work out trip time. SDW is such a blast if we can get a clear dry spell. Dusty trails please. That being said i was 6st lighter and super fit the last time i rode there, so im prolly being way over optimistic :oops: I bave been dreaming of going back for 20yrs :facepalm: Sad or what ?

Thanks Elpedro I think I have Sussex the link !

Waterloo to Petersfield is about one hour and fifteen minutes on the train

Re:

Mike

Good to see you trying to find out why numbers have dropped.
From a personal point of view I probably ride more now than ever, but how I ride has changed. Saturdays I go out with a local road club and my wife now joins me, but we are usually back home by the early afternoon and its not unusual for us to go out on a Sunday morning on either our road bikes or MTB's.
I'm not a regular forum viewer now but I've looked at a few of the recently advertised rides and have been interested in coming along except they usually are either on a Saturday or I've already been committed to other things.
I still regularly ride in the Surrey Hills and take the old bikes up there in the summer months when it is usually dryer so that I don't wreck the old gear sets too much. I'm also still happy to show others around some of the less extreme trails that are up there.

In a nutshell I suppose like everyone we have many things vying for our time, but I still enjoy riding my old bikes and am happy to help you out if I can

Re:

Hello,

I do keep checking the forum to see if any dates suit me. I get out when I can but it's quite varied what I do -
Cx, fat bike, single speed, all with a different crowd it seems and time to get out is limited.

Haven't been on the old girl for a while so I would be up for a Surrey Hills ride soon. I have some good routes around there now.

Sam

grd":3d1btgt1 said:
Mike

Good to see you trying to find out why numbers have dropped.
From a personal point of view I probably ride more now than ever, but how I ride has changed. Saturdays I go out with a local road club and my wife now joins me, but we are usually back home by the early afternoon and its not unusual for us to go out on a Sunday morning on either our road bikes or MTB's.
I'm not a regular forum viewer now but I've looked at a few of the recently advertised rides and have been interested in coming along except they usually are either on a Saturday or I've already been committed to other things.
I still regularly ride in the Surrey Hills and take the old bikes up there in the summer months when it is usually dryer so that I don't wreck the old gear sets too much. I'm also still happy to show others around some of the less extreme trails that are up there.

In a nutshell I suppose like everyone we have many things vying for our time, but I still enjoy riding my old bikes and am happy to help you out if I can

It would be great if you could organize a Surrey Hills ride. As you know it like the back of your hand, I'm sure you'd work out a great retro friendly route, as I seem to remember you did last time.

Maybe put something up for mid summer, when the trails are at their driest. ;)

Mike

Re:

Shift work & being drastically unfit are holding me back every time I think about joining a ride. I'm working on the fitness & now have every other weekend off so maybe this summer could be the one for me! Prepare to be slowed down people :LOL:

MR OX":2wzqsreb said:
Shift work & being drastically unfit are holding me back every time I think about joining a ride. I'm working on the fitness & now have every other weekend off so maybe this summer could be the one for me! Prepare to be slowed down people :LOL:

This seems to be what I hear most: 'I'd like to come but I'll slow you down.'.

I don't think people realise just how long we spend standing around checking out each others colourful bits! :LOL:

With very few exceptions the rides are steady and we've yet to abandon anyone on a RetroRide as far as I'm aware... If we did it'd be for being a dick, never for being slow! ;)

Latest posts

Back