1954 BSA Tour of Britain Sports

[/IMG_0295.JPG]Hi All,
I thought someone posted that they had a list of serial numbers showing year of manufacture??
I am doing up a 8 speed racing bike which i am almost sure was purchased in 1954 and has a serial number L13394. Mine looks just like Bruce's.
Peettee looks like a bit older as it does not have a metal BSA badge on the fork post?

Attachments

• IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,241
Hi Peetee
Sorry the photo looked like a transfer, my badge is very bland white metal with a hint of red in the background. What is your serial number??

I also used H Lloyd for some transfers, he really knows his stuff and has 100's of transfers for just about all makes.

I was planning to get a re-spray next, does anyone have a recommendation?

regards
Pete

Good work on that frame Peetee. How did the Lloyds decals compare to the originals? My seat tube roundel has leaves around it but Lloyds don't seem to do that one.
I'd also be interested to hear your frame number. I guess it might have an E prefix if its a Raleigh job.

y6GVRTBH":iby2i7hp said:
[/IMG_0295.JPG]Hi All,
I thought someone posted that they had a list of serial numbers showing year of manufacture??
I am doing up a 8 speed racing bike which i am almost sure was purchased in 1954 and has a serial number L13394. Mine looks just like Bruce's.
Peettee looks like a bit older as it does not have a metal BSA badge on the fork post?[/quote]

Hi Pete,
I have collected some numbers of this model of bike. I would say yours is certainly 1954. Mine is L6678 and is definitely 1954, plus I have a record of L50818 from the VCC register, which is also dated to 1954. The "Astleys of Oldham Ledger", also from the VCC archive, has a further 8 bikes listed, with no prefix letters to their numbers, and the numbers are a mix of 4 and 5 digits in no particular order. These 8 bikes are dated as supplied from 1954 to 1957.
I have records of 3 other bikes with a J prefix dated to early 1954.
One further bike from the ledger, with an E prefix, is a Raleigh built one from 1958.

HI all,

on eBay there is a BSA 57cm top tube frame for sale @ £220

Frame number on the dropout: P21874
Number on the bottom bracket: 814 is a BSA frame for sale "1955 year"

Is this possible as 1955 frames have "L" prefix? cannot see a P prefix for any year?

Also Bruce is correct my "winners logo" from H Lloyd has no green leaves around it.
Regards
Pete

Hi Pete,

Sorry to disappoint, but that frame has remnants of "Golden Wings" decals on the down tube, so it is not a ToB.
It dates from around 1957. I wouldn't mind one of these, but not this one.
Oh and it definitely does not have Nervex lugs, BSA through and through!

Attachments

• 5549533407_21a1967237_b.jpg
    5549533407_21a1967237_b.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,078
  • rsz_s-l1600.jpg
    rsz_s-l1600.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,078
The rear derailleur is not a Benelux Sport. It's a MK7 which is actually more 'year correct' for a 1955+ bike. So in short - no criticism at all as you have a fully matched '55+ drive train with the correct front and rear derailleurs! Unfortunately, I had to acquire a "Certificate in Cyclo Benelux" whilst researching and restoring a 1952 ToB Spec Hetchins Magnum Bonum - still a work in progress.

FYI differences between 3, 4 and 5 speed derailleurs is limited to the profile and length of the rear derailleur plunger rod - and yes they are interchangeable if you have the parts, but no a 3 speed will not really work with a 4 or 5 speed cluster. God knows they barley work to the specified cluster at the best of times when carefully adjusted :)

Was the oiler cap in the bottom of the frame an option, i am preparing for a re-spray and the bike has never had on to oil the crank and just spotted there is no thread, just a hole 1/4 in diameter?? There are a few for sale on the web but they are 2BA or 1/4 inch thread?

Also the spokes on the front measure 11.5 inches and 12 inches, not common sizes now, any thoughts on where to get replacements?

Attachments

• winners logo.JPG
    winners logo.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 888
Back