Recommend-me-do

tufty

Retro Guru
So, I've got a hankering for a bike that's bouncy at both ends.

I'm far more on the XC end of the spectrum than DH, quite happy with 26" wheels, needs discs and decent spec suspension. 55mm suspension is all very well, but... And, obviously, not a boat anchor - I want to ride, and it's frickin' steep round these 'ere parts. Of course, bearing in mind that I work as a chairlift driver and that I'm tighter than a gnat's chuff to boot, cost is "an issue".

Any ideas? I'm kinda taken with Rocky Mountain's Element series, the 2006 models still look quite "retro", but, well, hen's teeth.

Re:

Marin. Can be picked up cheap enough, plenty of xc options and the top spec ones are nicely loaded. Parts are generally common sizes too which makes life easy

Re:

Anthem is a good shout, also a Scott Spark.

My favourite though is the Santa Cruz Superlight.

Been looking at anthem and superlight framesets, as it happens. May have found a 2010 Rocky element in my size, but no way of looking before buying, which worries me.

i just got a 2004 marin wolf ridge with fox/hope/mavic etc for extremely good money, like £150 good!
my first full sus, didnt want to go mad and not like it... it is rather lovely arbeit it need a service!

So many good bikes to choose from.

Some good options would be, Giant, good suspension design, Orange, light and simple but my first choice would be a Marin quad link, works so good for climbing and descending too, strong frames also :)

If you like the Element have you looked at Giant ATX bikes? they are built a bit tougher :)

Mark

Back