1970 Raleigh Olympus

ironbike":kgyqgt6o said:
That's such a great image. And if I'm honest... yes, I dressed exactly like that back then. I love the reference to "British Precision." The tolerances on my Olympus are about a quarter of an inch all round!

Yes not exactly high end, but I have fond memories of mine, which was my first proper drop handle bar bike I had back in the summer of 1976. I remember riding it back from the cycle shop where my dad had just bought it for me. Plymouth Cycle Mart - now long gone, for the princely sum of £61.95. Mine had the red frame with blue mudguards. I think I still have some bits of it tucked away somewhere. Happy memories. And I think its true that "Few thing equal the thrill of owing a brand new bike" - the opening line in the little handbook which came with it. I was as pleased as punch and very proud, the envy of all my mates...

ironbike":soe89n8z said:
That's such a great image. And if I'm honest... yes, I dressed exactly like that back then. I love the reference to "British Precision." The tolerances on my Olympus are about a quarter of an inch all round!

:LOL:

Tinypic (where I'd uploaded all the images) has gone offline, along with Photobucket - so I decided to move everything across to Imgur, which seems to be more stable (famous last words). While I was at it I thought I might as well put these few up as well...

jEK4nNN.jpg

XPpv2Mb.jpg

ySYT2oD.jpg

Vhpeofm.jpg

Re:

Here's me on Boxing Day 1973. Mine was 18" frame and had Brooks Competition saddle

Attachments

• 1974-01 slide 20.jpg
    1974-01 slide 20.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 411
Wow! Seeing those pictures I get the same avaricious feelings that I had as a young teenager back in the early 70's. A great job!

Although I had an Olympus at Christmas 1977, it was the later blue version with black steel mudguards and just wasn't as appealing as this earlier version.

A great project! Reminded me very much of my first bike which was very similar to yours but was a Team Raleigh Europa. It was 1973, cost £39 from Halfords, and differed mainly in having a plastic Simplex rear mech, shortie mudguards, GB synchro dual-pivot brakes, and a horrible plastic saddle. Mine was 18" frame with 24" wheels and I rode it from age 12 to 15.......
Most of my friends wanted Choppers back then, but I wanted a real racing bike, and in fact went on to race from the age of 17 to my 50's.
Sadly I don't have any pictures.

Great stuff. Exactly the same Christmas that I got mine.
That's an amazing restoration...I too had a turquoise blue one and had very much the same experience - 'cow horn' handlebars, mudguards shattered, bearings fell out etc. Could you send me a list of where you got the various pieces restored as I'd like to do the same to one that I've found.

Back