Carnac shoes and SPD cleats

cchris2lou

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Just bought some 2nd Carnac road shoes on ebay and was wondering if there is a way to fit MTB SPD cleats on them .

At the moment it is impossible but can I get an adaptor ?

If they are anything like these then yes, you can get an adapter:

Attachments

• IMG_3450.JPG
    IMG_3450.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 3,313
  • IMG_3451.JPG
    IMG_3451.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 3,313
  • IMG_3452.JPG
    IMG_3452.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 3,313
Adapting adapters

The adapter plates are nearly impossible to find. Many of us have older Carnac shoes and SPD pedals and cleats. I have a pair of Quartz from 1998 that I got at a big discount. I had to adapt some plates that were designed for Time pedals in order to get them to accept my SPDS cleats. I had to drill them out and cut grooves but the real trick is to find or make plates (fitted under the Carnac plate) that will accept the screws that come with the SPD cleats. That, or find some longer screws at the hardware store.
It's tricky to do but it is doable. Good luck. Contact me if you need help or advice.

I found some plates online at Jamescycles .

they had them in stock , so no problem at all .

fitted them on I use the shoes on flatish , non technical rides . only problem is that I need to adjust the height of my saddle .

Re: Carnac shoes

I just discovered a pair of these same bike shoes just like in the picture above in my brother's belongings. He passed away last Christmas and I was curious if they have any value?

Back