Carlton Classic All Chrome info required

Re:

So would be dated mid 60s? It’s a beautiful bike. It’s the same size as my Raleigh Banana. So fits me perfectly. I’m thinking a sympathetic restoration. Clean and polish chrome, new decals. Anyone got any pictures of one with the colours on it?

Other changes- saddle, would like a Brooks B5n and maybe black bar tape with cables?

Re:

I’ve seen this and it would make sense 67-68 but why is the X number not listed? It’s looking like the black & gold Carlton Cobra set looks correct. Like this I’m thinking?

No Raleigh bits on this on either

Attachments

• 7E477C80-26C8-4F51-9148-04B673BDCA16.jpeg
    7E477C80-26C8-4F51-9148-04B673BDCA16.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 396
Late 60's to 1972-3 Carlton numbering went haywire! Only got back on track 1973 when the W numbers derived from Raleigh started.

The above decal set is from about 1974 but no-one will notice, :)

Re:

I have the bike in my loft now, it’s dry and clean. On further inspection - still no more numbers found so thought I’d list the components.

Dunlop light weight 27” high flange wheels matching set
Huret svelto rear derailleur
GB Coureur brake set - marked 66
GB stem alloy with 66 on it in a red square

I only mention this as cobras all seem to have Raleigh bits and Weinmann brakes.

The chrome need a good polish but it’s good. I have a guy that can do the ‘acrillichrome’ on this to, so could reinstate the blue that was there or may keep it Chrome, does look classy

Cheers Ben

Could well be a Cobra. Carlton also did an acrylichrome version of the Continental in the mid 60s too. Have you looked for a frame number by the rear LHS drop out? if its around 67 the prefix on the number may be a Z or Y. If its late 60s those GB 66 courier brakes may not be original. If the frame number is just a number ie no prefix, then it would date the machine to around 68-72.

Re:

Cheers for the reply. I think this is the plan. Just clean and polish, change seat for Brooke’s,black bar tape, cables and new decal set

Here's my Cobra :)

5x3eaq-jpg.280069

Re:

I’ve seen this on a google search, the frame is exactly the same as mine. Even down to the single chain wheel! I’m going with a Carlton Cobra. Couldn’t be anything else could it? I’m still going to keep it Chrome but with new decals. Do you have any close ups of the decals?

Cheers

I'll have a look for some more pics, they are on a memory stick somewhere. The decals include a tru-Well tubing one, chainstay Cobra decals with Olympic rings and Carlton buckle decals on the forks. :)

Back