Marin frame washers? Pivot bushes help please!

bobbydigital

Retro Newbie
Hi there,

I have a Marin frame I'm building up, not sure what model it is but I like the look of it and there a lot of play in the bottom area and I believe there some washers missing? Apparently PVT3108 is the product code for them but I can't find them at all.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=40
6th post on this topic a member of this forum had some made, but I have no idea of their sizes to get any made and was hoping someone here could be assistance.

I've added a picture of the frame plus the mounting hardware I have for the lowest pivot point.

Attachments

• DSCN6328.JPG
    DSCN6328.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 1,205
  • DSCN6336.JPG
    DSCN6336.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 1,205
Re:

There are washers/shims between the frame and swingarm, one each side. My recollection is that they aren't very thick but a similar outside diameter to the outer washers you have.

Sorry but right now I don't have a Marin, hopefully will be picking one up on Sunday but I am not planning on pulling the swingarm off anytime soon.

Re:

Bumpty bump.

I can't find any information at all for this.
I think there should be clips to hold the bearings in place as I can just push them out with little effort.

Tried uk marins dealers but they only deal in newer stuff and directed me towards marin direct who don't seem to reply to emails so stuck really.

Your frame is like my first full suss from 1997. That was a Marin Rift Zone but the same frame was used for the Mount Vision. Yours has the later swinging arm. The early ones were prone to fracturing. Mine did but I also fractures a Mk2 like yours. I'm a little less hard on bikes now!
The pivots were "guaranteed for life" but that didn't include the shock bushes.
They were imported by ATB sales who still hold spares for Marin and Whytes like my PRST4 and JW4. You just order the bits online and they arrive quickly. I got some bits for my PRST4 this way.
This frame was the best full suss of it's time, I'm convinced of that. I kept mine from 1997 til 2015 but it was on it's third frame, third forks and third swinging arm by then.

Thanks for that ATB said they don't sale direct so they told me to call paligap who have recommended me different bearing which have a little sleeve attached to them but it's a different size.

Original bearing is kp6 - 9.5mm x 22.2mm x 6.28/7.91mm
Recommended bearing is KP5AX-13 - 7.94MM x 20.64MM x 9.14MM

I can't imaging it to work.

Re:

Yeah I saw that a while ago and just assumed it was KP6 bearings but it seems too expensive for that so will drop them a message and find out, thanks.

Original bearing is kp6 - 9.5mm x 22.2mm x 6.28/7.91mm
Recommended bearing is KP5AX-13 - 7.94MM x 20.64MM x 9.14MM
I don't know the innards of Marins much, but if your dimensions are right, looks like the original was a KP6A, not a KP6 (which is much bigger) https://www.astbearings.com/catalog.htm ... mp;id=KP6A

Enduro do them for around £12 each inc VAT, or there are cheaper ones around online.

All the best,

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 776
The BETD ones is the KP6A bearing and I bought some of them from kinetic bearings on ebay and pressed them in, they seem okay in terms of fitment, no idea on the quality.

I've added a penny washer to one side and bolted it all up, there isn't any play or drift and the swingarm moves freely when I sit on the bike and then back to it's original position when I get off. I just don't think that's correct although it works.

These are the recommended bearings which I feel are too small but they said the extra depth would work as a spacer but the original hardware, mainly the rod wouldn't go though the center of the bearings as the rod is 9.5mm diameter.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 776
Sounds like you've found the right bearing...

KP6A should have a 9.525mm bore ( 0.375" or 3/8").
The recommended bearing (KP5A) is way too small.

All the best,

Back