retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
So I have stupidly bought another bike on a whim :roll:

But as we all say..... I couldnt resist it, it needed rescueing, but its a classic

Raleigh Maverick

Can't quite place the year but i'm guessing at 1986, as far as I can tell its completely original right down to the mudguards and rack even the leather straps on the front brake are still going strong, the wheels cleaned up without issue -no rust in sight but the tyres were rotted out so changed them for some budget ones from the shed, but otherwise......really nice.

My only problem is I was caught sneaking it into the shed :( so I'm in trouble again.

mmmmmmm

IMG_20180406_104843.jpg

IMG_20180406_105027.jpg

IMG_20180406_104912.jpg

IMG_20180406_104920.jpg

IMG_20180406_104926.jpg

IMG_20180406_105052.jpg

IMG_20180406_105021.jpg

Enjoy

I think that’s older with the chrome rims etc.

1984 design launched in 85.

“Eventually, Yvonne Rix persuaded the Raleigh board that a move into mountain bike production made sense. In spring 1985, Raleigh launched Maverick, its first range of MTBs. Offered in 5, 15 and 18-speed versions, it was built using traditional Raleigh roadster-style brazing. However, initial sales were disappointing. The MTB market in the UK remained relatively small, with few domestic players and no meaningful presence yet from American or Taiwanese companies.“

Re:

Good find.

I find frames and parts far easier to sneak in than complete bikes. Or keep all bikes the same colour. They blend into each other when stacked together and harder to keep track of numbers.

Re:

Great find, looks mint :cool:

But, whoever thought chrome rims and caliper brakes were a good idea on a mountain bike should be given a slap :LOL:

Re:

Good find ! however your Maverick seems to be something of a maverick !

You would expect to find the steel rims ( dated '86 ) , steel hubs and caliper
brakes on the low end/ 5 spd version of the Maverick ? I always thought
that the 15/18 spd variants had alloy rims/hubs and cantilever brakes

Maybe there was an intermediate level spec ? though I have never seen one ,
until now

It would be interesting to know what front and rear mechs the bike has ,
also a view of the rear dropout to see if it is a forging or simply blanked out

Re:

Raleigh were well known for their 'recycling', basically if they had parts left over from other defunct models they often got used on other models.

The rims and brakes were almost certainly left over from Raleigh Bombers, so they would have had stocks left over.....

Hi Guys,
Thank you for your comments, the bike is in good nic and I'm glad I saved it from the Uni sale, the original owner must have vaselined the rims and put it into storage hence they look so good. friction shifting is by huret and it works really well, best shot I can get at the moment of the dropout area as its on end in the shed.

IMG_20180408_171106.jpg

IMG_20180406_104906.jpg

Re: Maverick/Mustang/Metropolitan

Based on my own bike , I think that the early ' made in Japan ' Mavericks had alloy
rims/hubs and cantilever brakes . The mechs were Suntour Mountech and
the dropouts were forged

In later '86 the UK manufactured bikes had Sach-Huret mechs with cheaper
'blanked out' plate dropouts similar to the Mustang , to save money

Presently on ebay there is an extremely rare Raleigh Metropolitan , just
to complicate matters even more !

Back