mk one

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Thought i would post a couple of pics of my Sex Too. I have posted pics before in the ride thread but it hasnt had its own thread and was feeling left out :|

As some may know i like Kona bikes. And '96 was the year i bought a brand new Kilauea, always had, and have had since, secondhand bikes. So '96 is one of my favourite years for Kona's :)

While flicking through mags and brochures the one bike that always caught my eye was the Sex Too. Purely, i might add, due to its colour. For some reason the yellow with the blue decals just looked amazing, really stood out. I have thought about painting all my kona's the same colour, still will one day if i ever have spare cash, and this is the colour i always wanted them to be, regardless of year or model :)

I have been fortunate and owned and rode many different suspension designs over the years mostly through DH, but i have come to understand what works when and where. So, to me this is a design without much appeal. However i am not trying to gain extra seconds or control over rough terrain anymore so for me nowadays, especially as i ride hardtails mostly this is plenty good enough and quite pleasant, suprisingly :)

The bike is mostly original, i will be changing a few things as i go, and the seatpost needs cutting down a bit as the rocker arm pivot goes through the seat tube and thats as far as it goes down :roll: and will change the original scratch and sniff tyres as the rear is wearing a bit, apart from that i will be getting out on it and just enjoying it.

Anyway, a couple of pics just as it started to hail today

Mark

Attachments

• P1010055 (Medium).JPG
    P1010055 (Medium).JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 919
  • P1010049 (Medium).JPG
    P1010049 (Medium).JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 918
  • P1010052 (Medium).JPG
    P1010052 (Medium).JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 919
Love the simple almost naive design on the early Kona full sussers, the rear linkages complete with canti hanger are ace
as is the vibrant yellow and matching Judys

that seat post is akin to a Mike Muz build

I'm sure Gruff used to have one of these in Mango flavour but zingy Lemon is deffo the winner

Retro Spud":yg0edr02 said:
Love the simple almost naive design on the early Kona full sussers, the rear linkages complete with canti hanger are ace
as is the vibrant yellow and matching Judys

that seat post is akin to a Mike Muz build

I'm sure Gruff used to have one of these in Mango flavour but zingy Lemon is deffo the winner

Yeah, its kinda growing on me, think my bones would appreciate any type of susspension design these days though :LOL: and the Judy's match the rear shock better than the Quadra's it came with.

The seat post it had in was a really tight fit for some reason so swapped it for another Kona one i had but forgot about the pivot bolt, i can ride the bike once on but its kind of like getting onto a penny farthing as it is :LOL:

I think the Mango ish one is the Sex Three, nice colour too, bit like the Kula.

Mark

How are you getting on with the Sex? The red and yellow go well together (I also came to the same conclusion but unrelated to your build).

It was all going great until the rear shock started squelching a bit. So when i moved my bikes the other month this was relegated to the loft and had to be dismantled to fit. Will get the shock serviced one day as i was planning on using it more.

A few pics of it with a black/red saddle which i think suits it a bit better

Attachments

• P1010444 (Medium).JPG
    P1010444 (Medium).JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 472
  • P1010441 (Medium).JPG
    P1010441 (Medium).JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 472
  • P1010439 (Medium).JPG
    P1010439 (Medium).JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 472
  • P1010437 (Medium).JPG
    P1010437 (Medium).JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 471
Re:

Aren't squelchy Sex noises normal then? :LOL:

Risse Racing do a service kit (basically a selection of rubber o-rings & seals) and they have "How To" videos on YouTube too.
I think I saw a list of the individual part numbers on the Internet somewhere too, which might be cheaper to source than the Risse kit.
My Fox Alps 4 is also a bit squelchy, which I assume is air where it shouldn't be?
I've got an Alps 5R that needs servicing too, so I'll track down all the parts needed sooner rather than later.

Latest posts

Back