Raleigh road bike. to single speed or not to single speed

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
hi everyone. Ok so a friend had a couple of bikes she wanted gone and one of them is an Old Raleigh 10 speed road bike. No idea on model as the decal have worn off (think it says Pulsar from what's left)but it's in rough shape to say the least. Now the problem I have is this. I really want to strip it and repaint it to make it look nice as the paint is flaking off it and its rusty etc but one problem I've found is the rear derailleur hanger is threaded so a rear mech won't stay in there.

The wheels are shot so would be replacing them anyway and got me debating shall I try one of those mech hanger savers and stick to 10 speed or do I have a bit of fun and go single speed (not fixie).

the problem I have is I've never touched single speed other than BMX in my life. Can I just get a single speed conversion to fit to normal wheels and then just have a single crank up front or do I need tensioners etc (I think it's got the old horizontal dropouts)

thanks

If it has horizontal dropouts more than 25mm long you can tension the chain by pulling the wheel back and doing up the QR (TIGHT!) and it will be fine. Shorter dropouts are a pain as you may have to remove a link as the chain wears if it starts off at the back of the dropout.

The usual road ratio is something like 70" (42/17) but being in Cornwall you may want something closer to 50"(42/21 ish) for all those nasty hills...

For singlespeeding the first 6 weeks are dreadful - then you fitten up and it's OK. For the past 8 years my go-to MTB has been a singlespeed. But I don't live in Cornwall!

Re:

As you have an old frame and wouldn’t like give it up. You can boost it with a little help of single speed conversion.
Riding singlespeed is simpler, more safe, very effective for the fitness also it will help you to improve you cycling skills and pedaling technique. Now a days singlespeed has been more popular specially for the High end customization.

Re:

My pub bike is an old 70s Raleigh Nova, low grade steel with horizontal dropouts, I've got a flip flop rear wheel with track nuts and threaded axle rather than a qr. Running a 46 up front with a 17t fixed and 18t freewheel depending on 'prevailing wind', Although im Bristol, not Cornwall but the conversion and fitting is no problem.
I would recommend a threaded axle and nuts over qr though for piece of mind as if they slip the wheel is coming out!

Back